Hartke LH1000 vs. GB Shuttle 6

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dotlikeimpact, Sep 2, 2009.

1. dotlikeimpact

dotlikeimpact

Apr 19, 2007
    So, I'm considering a new head. The cab I use is a three-way Dr. Bass 15/8/horn cab rated for 600 watts and 8 ohms. I have a hookup for either a Hartke LH1000 or GB shuttle 6 at very, very good prices. I won't have a chance to play through either before I buy. I play a P-bass with flats into this rig. I'm looking for a clean, warm tubey sound, and like tons of headroom, but am a bit nervous about the hartke putting out 700 watts at 8 ohms into a cab rated for 600. Which of these two amps would you go for and why?

2. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Depends on if weight is a consideration. I wouldn't be worried about the wattage of the LH1000 but I would be worried about the headroom of a Shuttle -> 8 ohms.

You need to try it and see if it's loud enough for you. If so I'd go with the shuttle - they maintain resale very well and are super nice sounding.

3. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I can comment only on what I've gleaned from the extensive lurking I've done here, so take that with a pound of salt. That said, the LH1000 seems like just what "the Doctor" ordered... :smug:

The LH series is known for having "clean, warm tubey" tone in abundance. And the power rating is a very good match as well (i.e. just because the amp is capable of putting out more power than your cab can handle, doesn't mean that it will. The solution? Your little ol' master volume control - and a good set of ears).

Extra power (in this case only a very modest dose of extra power) is what we call "headroom". That's a good thing... :cool:

MM

4. Clean, warm, tube-y with lot's of headroom? LH1000
    I tried the LH500 (P-bass / Flats) and it's all of that!
    I wouldn't be nervous about the speaker being 600Watt and the LH putting out 700 @ 8 Ohms
    Sounds like a perfect match to me...
    I would rather have headroom and use my ears, than not enough power and overdrive my amp..

The Shuttle at 8 Ohms will give you 350-ish Watts
    IME the Shuttle is NOT so "warm" or "tube-y", It's more Hi-Fi / modern

5. I have an LH1000 and I love it plenty of power even when just running one side of the power section (500watts) and good clean tone.

6. dotlikeimpact

dotlikeimpact

Apr 19, 2007
    So, wow, everyone is in agreement. What sort of things do I need to look out for with a head more powerful than the cab's rating? I don't want to blow my speakers.

7. MingusBass

MingusBass Commercial User

Sep 27, 2004
    Fort Wayne,Indiana
    For my money, the LH is a slam dunk.

8. All I can say is I cant think of any setting in which you would need to push 600 watts of bass into a mix...so the chances of you blowing a speaker/speakers are slim....dont be stupid that's all and you'll be fine..

I havnt used Hartke in years so cant comment... currently running a shuttle 6.0 and please so far... def. very punchy yet bright...

I use 200-250 watts in a 2000+ person sanctuary and get asked to turn down.:meh:

9. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

After about 3 months with my LH1000, I am happy I bought this amp. It has the juice for the best & worst playing situations. I drive an MIA P-Bass through the LH into the LDS 2 x 10 cabs.

I'll admit I have not really played much gear, but I have a tone that I enjoy and seems to fit well in our rock band.

Great P-Bass sound in any evironment. Here's a shot of the beast:

P7100070.gif

10. Mystic Michael

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    No offense intended, but do I infer correctly that you haven't had a whole lot of performing experience just yet? (It's impossible to tell anything for sure, since you haven't filled out your profile...) :meh:

I mention this only because a reasonably experienced player will easily be able to determine when he's getting close to blowing out his speakers: simply by paying attention to his tone, it will be obvious that his speakers are going into power compression, and then breakup (severe distortion). That's nature's way of saying: back off on the volume and/or gain!

The key? Just listen to your rig! It'll tell you when it's getting overstressed. It's then up to you to respond accordingly... :eyebrow:

MM

11. X Ray

X Ray

Aug 31, 2009
    Another vote for the LH1000! I just played it for the first time yesterday. Wow! Nice amp! It doesn't have many controls, but to be honest, it obviously doesn't need them. No matter where they're set, it sounds great. I'll have to say that this amp sounds better than the HA7000 that I owned last. It's VERY EASY to get a good tone out of it. To bad Hartke doesn't have a micro head. If they did, and it sounded anything like the LH1000, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Coincidentally, the only other amp I compared it to was the Genz-Benz Shuttle 3.0! Not quite the same as the Shuttle 6.0, but I'd feel safe assuming that they sound atleast similar. To my amazement, the Hartke was the better sounding amp, hands down. At low and high volumes. It wasn't just an issue of one amp being louder than the other. This Hartke sounds nice.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Put me down for the Shuttle. I like both of them, but the Shuttle is a little closer to what I like tonally, plus it's way smaller.

13. deadstroke

deadstroke

Aug 11, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    I really enjoy the tone of the GB STL6.0.

14. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    I'd do the Hartke just for the power.

I use an LMII with my 8 ohm 310 cab with my band and it keeps up fine most of the time but if the guitar players decide to turn up and make the audience leave I'm still alright but it puts my bass sound more in the background when cranking the LMII. The Shuttle 6.0 has about the same amount of power as the Markbass into one 8 ohm cabinet so I would think it would be a good comparison. With two 8 ohm cabinets I can bury the guitar guys, I'm sure it would be the same with the Shuttle, but I think one 8 ohm cab would be pushing it. The LH1000 sounds like just the ticket power wise.

15. I still get a kick out of folks who think 1000's of watts achieve something special.

The reality is that most of us on this forum play small parties, clubs/bars, a few outdoor gigs,church etc. To think you'd need anything more than 300 or so watts blows my mind.

You can probably rattle walls with a 15" and 100 watts.

Where are you playing that you want so much power?

16. Mystic Michael

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Once again, it's all about the headroom. Even if you use only a fraction of the total power capability of your amp in order to generate output, having all that additional power in reserve does wonderful things for your tone - to say nothing of allowing you to operate your amp virtually stress-free - not a minor consideration when it comes to longevity.

And of course, when/if you should start getting bigger gigs, you already have an amp that should be able to handle job. So you don't have to go shopping for a new amp... :meh:

Of course there are reasonable limits here - and the threshold of what constitutes "reasonable headroom" obviously differs from gig to gig: 500 watts is big headroom for a coffeehouse gig, while 1500 watts may not be enough for an outdoor concert. This issue has already been covered so many times before... :rolleyes:

MM

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021