1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hartke LH1000 with HyDrive 810... Weird anomaly

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TheRigere, Apr 25, 2015.

1. TheRigere

TheRigere

Dec 17, 2005
    Central Florida
    or they just don't like Stranglehold lol.. Anyway I've been playing this rug for a few years..love it to death...never has a hint of issue until now. It has happened three times in three different venues..two outside once inside. I'll be about three minutes in on the song and the cab cuts off. I don't know if it's a cabinet issue or amp speaker output issue cause the signal from the DI still crank in the PA and monitors. It last about a minute or two then comes back on and fine the rest of the night.

The only thing I could assume was heat. The club was hot as pepper pudding and both outside gigs were warm but not blistering. I cleaned out the intake fan and removed the exhaust screen on the amp to increase airflow no help. Any ideas? Do I have a jacked up cab or speaker output? Could it be the speak on cable? It never happens or any song besides Strangelhold, which is usually fourth or fifth song of first set and then is fine for the night. Thoughts?

2. middy

middy

Mar 14, 2007
    Texas
    Reseat or replace the preamp tube, maybe?

Have you tried a different speaker cable?

3. Maybe play the rig instead of the rug ? ;)
    Try dropping the bass control some for the song, could be overloading the output section kicking in the error control mute?

Maybe move that song to the second set so the amp loses its laziness? :D

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
    TheRigere likes this.
  4. I don't know the tune. Most likely overheat protection kicking in per B-string. Presumably you are pushing the cab as hard as possible with the 1000w which probably means your low EQ is under control already or your cab would be tearing up cones.

You could be teetering on cooking them and it's only the amp protection saving you. Backing off some lows might still be your solution.

Otherwise you might suspect the amp is sub par.

5. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Are you using a phase as on the original? This effect could cause some low frequency issues that you're not even hearing but are playing havoc with your rig.

Jim Carr, hintz and TheRigere like this.
  6. TheRigere

TheRigere

Dec 17, 2005
    Central Florida
    Actually yes...I use a phaser effect for the entire song.

7. TheRigere

TheRigere

Dec 17, 2005
    Central Florida
    The cab is rated for 2000 watts and the 1000 watts from the amp is if you are cranked to ten.. I am at 5. Eq all set at twelve o clock which and I don't play on the b string for that tune.. It's so weird..

8. TheRigere

TheRigere

Dec 17, 2005
    Central Florida
    So do anyone know for sure if this cab or amp has this overheat protection? Seems like it. But it's weird. Is it in the cab or the head?

9. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Are you running in Bridge mode using a Speakon Cable??

10. Absolutely FALSE

The 1,000 watt rating is the clean rating. Pushing an amp can make it produce up to 2X it's rated power at a higher distortion rate.

Lastly, knob position also means NOTHING. Many amps can be maxed out by "noon" depending on how hot the front end feed is, and your use of EQ.

ETA - You also need to realize that the wattage rating of the cab is the thermal rating. There is NO way that cab will handle 2,000 watts.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
    BigBobbyBass likes this.
  11. bebass

bebass Sho Me Music Commercial User

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    ShoMeMusic.com; Authorized dealer for Bergantino, Dingwall, Darkglass, Genzler, Phil Jones Bass, Quilter, Blackstar, Cort, Traynor, and other
    Weird that is only on the one song. Which implies what others have been saying about EQ & effects possibly being the culprit. However, I would expect that amp to hang in there. It is possible the amp output stage is thermally shutting down. But one thing, are you running the effects through the effects loop or in front of the amp? Can you borrow another amp and run through the cab for a night so as to make sure there are no wiring problems?
    Or possibly put a Stranglehold on Stranglehold - the universe may be trying to tell you something. LOL

TheRigere likes this.
  12. middy

middy

Mar 14, 2007
    Texas
    Eq at noon is a whole lot of bass on a Fender-style tone stack, especially at that volume! Try turning the bass knob down to about 3.

TheRigere and bebass like this.
  13. TheRigere

TheRigere

Dec 17, 2005
    Central Florida
    Yes

14. TheRigere

TheRigere

Dec 17, 2005
    Central Florida
    I run the effects to the front of the amp because the DI on the head is pre loop so it picks up only the original unaffected I put.. I understand the function of that but we typically don't mic the cab in clubs and only typically at big stages do we mic the cab and DI it

And this has happened with two completely different setups running thru this rig.. I have a full board now with phase, comp preamp etc but it happened first when I only was running my cheap Zoom B3 thru it...same song... With phaser effect on.

15. TheRigere

TheRigere

Dec 17, 2005
    Central Florida
    I'm wondering that if this is an issue resulting from the phaser because of the frequencies like some of you have mentioned in conjunction that that baseline literally is nonstop for 6-8 minutes, that maybe periodically clicking the phaser off and back on quick every so many bars would sort of break the cycle of the low end loop that overloads... Worth a shot I suppose

steveinohio likes this.
  16. TheRigere

TheRigere

Dec 17, 2005
    Central Florida
    I'm just going off what is listed from the specs on the cab..cause I agree it sounds outlandish..it's just very odd that it only happens on this song ...

17. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Oct 18, 2012
    Texas
    Just remember, the bass at noon is pretty bass boosted. The flat setting for the LH heads is around 2 - 10 - 2

TheRigere likes this.
  18. Slpbass81

Slpbass81

Dec 16, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Endorsing: GHS Strings
    I would either take it to a tech or sell it and buy a new one. Unless it is a tube issue or simple fix once you start down this path it seems amps only start to get worse. Is there an internal fan inside the amp? If so that should be strong enough to keep it from overheating.

19. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    fDeck HPF-3 to the rescue...
    You may be trying to amplify a whole lotta bass that won't be heard anyway.
    This takes a lot of power and makes heat.
    With the mids down at 5 you're kneecapping a bunch of available power and maybe turning up more than you would otherwise need to.

/\/\3phist0, Jim Carr, bebass and 2 others like this.
  20. steelbed45

steelbed45 TRemington Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Nolanville, TX
    +1

Also regarding the comments on the phaser and frequencies, I've been using an FDeck HPF at the end of my effects chain to keep all of that in check.