Hartke LH500 and HA3500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basssoundbass, Oct 27, 2011.

1. basssoundbass

basssoundbass

Jul 19, 2009
    UK
    I currently own a Hartke LH500 and have really enjoyed using for the past 18months.

I would like to get a more tube type sound and hope to do this without the use of pedals as I like my set up to be quite simple.

As I like the Hartke Amps would a HA3500 produce a more tube like tone as the LH500 is quite clean.

Also is the characteristics of the HA3500 quite different to the LH500.

Finally would I notice a huge drop in volume by changing from LH500 to HA3500

I have an old Fender Squire Precision Bass which has been heavily modified with Seymour Duncan SPB2 Pickups, Leo Quann Bridge and Thomastik Infeld Jazz Flats.

Thanks

2. Igotsoul4u

Igotsoul4u

Nov 3, 2011
    Princeton
    They are very different sounding amps and the LH500 is more powerful. You may want to get some sort of booster to push the input of the LH500. I am not sure what you are looking for in terms of tubey. The LH500 sounds quite tubey to me.

Bass RC Booster

3. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

May 11, 2007
    I'm not saying the HA3500 is a bad amp - however IMO its voice is kind of sterile and it's not loud at all. If you need a modern sound with clarity and a hi-hi flavour to it, then it may very well be the amp fo you; but if you have to battle against full guitar stacks and loud drummers and need to really push it, it's not going to work...

4. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    That SPB2 might be hurting you in terms of getting a "more tube type sound." Am I certain? No. But it is a possibility.

5. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    That makes no sense. SPB-2 is a great pickup; if he was using the SPB-3 which scoops all the mods out, then definitely.

6. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    there is a pick-up that removes all other mods done to a bass? That is wild! ;)

7. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Actually I was thinking the reverse: It could be he's got so much in the way of mids with that pickup that the sound is too forward, and well outside the window of what one might call "tube type." I was wondering if the SPB1 might serve him better. Maybe I'm just misunderstanding what the guy's looking for.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021