1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hartke LH500 issue......

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by suddenlysane, Dec 13, 2011.

1. suddenlysane

suddenlysane Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2010
    I bought a Hartke 5210c Combo last October. It has been awesome. I even added an HX115 cab to it. Last night I turned it on, let it warm up, and started playing. I noticed a static like noise coming from one of the 10s (although it could be from both). The same static/hissing/fuzz came out of the 15 when connected only to it. Here's the rundown to make it easier to read:

- Volume at 9 O'clock
    - Put everything else to 12 O'clock
    - Unplugged the 10s and ran straight to the 15 and vice versa
    - Changed cable (tried 3 different ones)
    - Changed basses (tried 2 passive, one active)
    - Tried changing tweeter switch in back and Brite switch in front
    - Limiter is always on
    - Tried both outputs on the back as well
    - Air cleaner for fan always clean
    - Fan works
    - Absolutely NOTHING different in my playing or gear used
    - Everything is plugged into a Monster surge protector

This started up out of the blue. I have an Ampeg SVT210AV being delivered today. Would it be safe to try it through that at low volume to see if it's still doing the same thing?

2. suddenlysane

Sep 29, 2010
    Fed-Ex delivered the Ampeg cab. Plugged the amp into it and the same fuzz so it's most definitely the head.

In other news....that little SVT210AV sounds SWEET even with a bit of fuzz/static sound mixed in.

3. It's almost certainly a loose or broken solder joint, and the likeliest place is at one of the control pots.

4. Why don't you just call Larry himself? He'll get back to you as soon as he can

5. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    It could also be a noisy Pre tube 12AX7 . For 12.00-20.00 you can find out. The new Tung-sol's are nice and last a long time. I would avoid the Groove Tubes they are not so good.

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 try a quick tube swap, and if that does it, you're done. If not, you need an amp tech.

7. suddenlysane

Sep 29, 2010
    I know I could call Larry. But I won't unless I absolutely need to. I don't think I'll need to.

I'm gonna pull the head later and look for loose solder joints first and then take it from there. Hopefully, it's something simple like that.

8. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    It wouldn't hurt to get a can of De-Oxit either and give all the pots, jacks and switches a good cleaning as well. Sometimes that's all that is need for noisy issues like that. If it doesn't fix it you're not out anything, you've simply done a yearly type cleaning/maintainance and eliminated that as a possible cause of the problem. I don't know how those are put together inside but if there are any ribbon cables or any connectors you can just unplug without de-soldering anything, clean and re-seat those as well.

That, looking for bad solder joints and switching out the tube with one that's known to be good are things you can try yourself. If that doesn't fix it, you haven't done any harm it's time for a real amp tech.

9. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

My LH1000 does this. Under warranty, I had it worked on and it seemed to have solved the problem. There's always a bit of noise when firing it up. After it warms up...(no kidding) it goes away and I have lotsa power.

I have had the amp for just over 2 years. I like it.

10. jjk2007

jjk2007 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Endorsing Artist: DNA
    Try replacing the tube first.

11. bobalu

bobalu Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2004
    above the 49th
    I had the exact same problem start with my LH500 3 weeks ago (after 2 years of playing it without any problems). I changed cabinets and basses to make sure it was the head, and it was. I swapped out the tube with no improvement at all. I took it in for repair and the Hartke Rep replaced it under warranty with no questions asked. The new one is perfect. I can't tell you how impressed I am with a company that actually stands behind their product without shafting you. Mesa Boogie is the only other company that I've had that kind of experience with. (previously owned Ashdown, Ampeg, GK and SWR). I'm sure Hartke will make it right for you.

12. suddenlysane

Sep 29, 2010
    bobalu, that is exactly why I want to try and fix it myself first. My very first experience with bass amps was a Hartke. When I voiced my concerns here on this forum and Larry Hartke himself chimed in and asked me to call him I was like "seriously?". Then I found myself dealing with someone that made things right very quickly. I've been a fan since. I will do my best to fix things myself because I KNOW he'll do right by me. Like you, I want to at least TRY and fix it before I turn it over to them. But knowing I have Hartke in my corner is nice. I have no worries.

13. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    Clean effects loop jacks with DeOxit.

Often does the trick...

=wr=

14. suddenlysane

Sep 29, 2010
    And the suggestions from you folks is probably what's gonna get my problem solved. And every suggestion is priceless to me. Thank you!

If I ever finish getting this Christmas (yeah I said it) tree put up I'll get started on the amp. YES I know I'm late, my wife has been riding my arse. And NO it won't be put away until March or April. :bag:

15. Larry Hartke

Larry Hartke

Feb 27, 2010
    Hartke Systems
    Hey Brother Suddenlysane,

Yes, you might check the tube...and also check the effects loop jacks (thanks waverider).

If that doesn't fix your problem, no worries, give me a call 201-680-8153 Cell or e-mail me at lahartke@comcast.net and I'll get it all made straight for you right away.

16. suddenlysane

Sep 29, 2010
    See what I mean.......like BATMAN or something!

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ever notice you never see Larry and Batman in the same room?

18. bassophil

bassophil

Jan 17, 2009
    :D

19. 5ibanez

5ibanez

Jan 13, 2012
    Don't own a Hartke as of yet, but I want to be a hartke club member, a fellow bassist has one and swaps amps for my gigs all the time(just as long as he's and mine arent the same time)
    I love the sound and power(he has the Kilo), I guess in another 25 gigs I'll be to afford the whole setup, oh by the way is your GT10b still on ebay? :cool::bassist: