1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hartke LH500 issue

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by talkincode, Jun 7, 2012.

1. talkincode

talkincode

Jun 7, 2012
    UK
    Good Morning all!

Apologies that my first post is an SOS, I'm trying to help our bassist out with an amp issue. I've included a brief description of the issue and the troubleshooting that I've tried already etc, would appreciate any help immensely!

Issue: Amp will periodically cut out, producing no sound whatsoever. Used to be sporadic and short, now struggling to get it to consistently produce sound for more than 10 minutes.

Setup: Fender Precision Bass > Sansamp Basss Driver Deluxe > Hartke LH500 > Hydrive 4x10 cab all in line, not FX looped.

Troubleshooting thus far:
    1 - Replaced leads. No change.
    2 - Took Sansamp out of chain. No change.
    3 - Head into different cab. No change
    4 - Effect Send into PA - signal present.
    5 - Amp DI into PA - signal present.
    6 - Bass straight into Effect Return - No change

Conclusions thus far:
    From what I've seen I think it is an issue with the power amp stage of the head, as the DI out and Effect Send are both still generating signal, indicating to me that the Preamp is still working.

Other info:
    Our bassist bought the amp in April 2011 and so it is out of store warranty (12 months - Dawsons). The store are also saying that Korg now owns Hartke and doesn't offer an extended warranty. We're gutted because the LH500/Hybrid combo sound is totally integral to his sound and ours as a band, but at the moment he's feeling jaded about Harkte as a brand, which I think is misguided!

Help:
    1 - Has anyone had experience of the same issue with this amp and how (if!)you managed to resolve it.
    2 - Does anyone here work for or has experience dealing with Hartke/Korg (especially in the UK) and could advise on the warranty/repair policy. I heard Hartke in the US are insanely helpful, to the point of the company founder getting stuck in with people's issues! I am sure there must be some assistance available in the UK, I think the store are either ill informed or they don't care!
    3 - Has my troubleshooting missed anything (more than likely!)?
    4 - If there is no help available from Hartke/Korg after 12 months, does anyone know a good/reasonably priced bass tech in the South of England who would be able to fix this for us.

Thanks so much in advance of your help! :D

2. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    I have a very helpful amp tech near me.
    I'm based in Gravesend, about 15-20 min from m25/ dartford tunnel.
    Pm me if you would like a number

3. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    Larry Hartke should pop in soon... He will take care of you.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Could be dirty effects loop jacks or a bad tube. Those are the simple fixes. Anything else would likely require a trip to the tech. But call Hartke tech support later today...they're quite awesome.

5. Joe Milo

Joe Milo

Nov 1, 2009
    Geneva Ohio
    For me it was my power plug. I bought an aftermarket power plug and changed it out. Every once in awhile tho the fuse will pop for me. Take the the little fuse holder out of the power plug and replace it.
    My cord used to wiggle a lot and I think it may have caused my problems with my LH500. After switching out the power plug all is well now.

6. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    I have an LH500 and it would cut out on me but only when I would hit the E string. Thought it was the amp, but it was a weak battery in the active bass.

7. Larry Hartke

Larry Hartke

Feb 27, 2010
    Hartke Systems
    Talkincode,

This is awful news to wake up and find out that Korg has bought Hartke. It must have happened while I was asleep! Jimmy M has nailed the two things to try first. Replace the tube and clean the effects loop jacks. You can clean the jacks by spraying them with contact cleaner and inserting a 1/4" plug a bunch of times. If that does not solve the problem just e-mail me at lahartke@comcast.net and I'll arrange to have it fixed for you. No worries!

8. iabssplyr

iabssplyr

Aug 5, 2009
    Clinton, IA
    Totally cool Larry! This is how a company makes customers for life. Good luck with your 500.

9. talkincode

talkincode

Jun 7, 2012
    UK
    Haha thanks Larry! I thought they may have been a bit clueless in the store, but to invent a company merger...that is quite special!

We'll get cracking on the tube and FX loop and let you know how we get on.

10. Did ya see that!!! The man himself bumped onto the forum to help a customer!!! Fender won't do that, GK won't do that, Ampeg won't do that and Carvin won't do that. I'm now giving new consideration to adding a Hartke to my arsenal (maybe the Kilo).

@Larry: I've not picked up a copy of BassPlayer in a while...is your phone number still on the back?

11. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Larry is a reg'ler here, when he's not answering the phone or torching basses. ;)

He's also the maker of one of my all time favorite amps... The original MOSFET 3500... Which I may actually have interred with me when I pass away.

12. MattyH

MattyH

Jul 20, 2010
    Long Island
    That's the reason why it was a no brainer to switch exclusively to Hartke. I had a similar problem with my LH1000 when it was new about 2 years ago. Called Larry, and an hour and a half later, I had a solution, a new tube, and my head has been running PERFECT ever since.

I play in a wedding band. 100-120 weddings a year. So I need gear that runs at 100% every time. Don't let this get to you. Hartke is still #1 in my (and in a lot of peoples) book. And He'll bend over backwards to help you. My LH1000 and HX410 cab get rave reviews wherever I play.

@LostInSauce - I've been wanting a Kilo so badly lately. Hey Larry! I play in one of the top 3 bands, in the biggest wedding entertainment company on the east coast, and I play a lot! How about a sponsorship! Haha :D In all seriousness, Hartke for life.

Good luck on your LH500!

13. MattyH

MattyH

Jul 20, 2010
    Long Island
    I have 2 of those 3500's. Easily the best bass head ever made. I don't care what people say. Reliability alone makes it #1.

14. I had the exact same problem. I bought my LH500 used, so I don't know if it was the original power cord that came with it, and I tend to swap those cords around anyways (I must have two dozen of them at least).

Anyways, I had intermittent shut-off problems. I was always able to solve this by shutting the amp off (just for safety), unplugging the cord from the back of the amp and firmly plugging it back in, and turning it back on. Worked every time.

15. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I once had a girlfriend sell me when I was asleep.

;)

dropbass likes this.
  16. TC.65

TC.65

Dec 20, 2008
    Carbondale IL

This is why I own Hartke and Genz Benz gear. Hands down they are the best in the business for customer support.

17. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    How much did she make?

18. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I think it ended up costing her money ;)

19. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    At least it wasn't some kind of trade deal.

Creepy to wake up to that.

20. I run the original Mosfet 3500 as well and I love it! Are there other nice bass amps out there? sure! But the reliability and bone crushing tonal options I get from my 3500 makes me look no further! I run mine with two XL 4-10's talk about guts :eek: