1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hartke LH500 Ohm Problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by John Deacon, Mar 14, 2009.

1. John Deacon

John Deacon

Aug 24, 2007
    Virginia
    Hi guys, question.

I got an LH500 head. Hartke's site said that it runs at 4 ohms.

The music store I got it from had two cabs hooked up to it, and I had a long discussion with the bass guy there, and he told me that one 4 ohm cab would be ok for it, and would give me the total 500 watts.

Well, I order a cab from Avatar, and when it comes in, I finally open my head. I look at the back for the connections, and it has two 8 ohm outputs.

Now, am I running it at 500 watts and it will work, or am I risking melting my cones?

The thing that aggravates me is that everyone told me it would be ok. Please help me guys.

Thanks!

2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    If you have an 8 ohm cab it will work just fine. The amp's output will be something like 350 watts. If you add a second 8 ohm cab, the total speaker impedance will drop to 4 ohms and your amp will put out the full 500 watts.

In other words, you're safe and you've picked a really nice combination. Enjoy!

Riis

3. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Pasco, WA
    The LH500 puts out 350w @ 8ohms and 500w @ 4ohms. Your head has a minimum impedance of 4 ohms. Using an 8ohm cab is fine, you will just have less power at your disposal.

1 8ohm cab will be an 8ohm load for the amp.

2 8ohm cabs connected together in parallel (the most common type of connection by far) will be a 4 ohm load for the amp.

1 4ohm cab will be a 4ohm load for the amp.

Hope this helps.

:D

Joe.

4. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    1x4ohm cab = 2x8ohm cabs

You're ok, but do NOT add another cab...

5. John Deacon

John Deacon

Aug 24, 2007
    Virginia
    Sorry, I got a 4 ohm cab.

I was told it would give me the full 500 watts.

6. John Deacon

John Deacon

Aug 24, 2007
    Virginia
    If its ok, then why are there 8 ohm outputs? The manual has 4 ohm outputs listed for the LH1000. So can I only use 8 ohm cabs with the head?

I hope not haha.

7. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Pasco, WA
    That is correct.

Joe.

8. John Deacon

John Deacon

Aug 24, 2007
    Virginia
    Haha, then why the two 8 ohm outputs? Can I just run one of the 8 ohm outputs to the 4 ohm cab?

9. you guys are missing the problem.. apparently theres no where to plug in a single 4 ohm cab, only a place to put 2 8 ohm cabs

as seen here:

2wf8pxi.

im not sure, but based on the manual on their site, it looks like you can plug the 4 ohm cab in there. although im not entirely sure.. because it doesnt say those words exactly anywhere. might want to call someone on that.

10. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Yes.

The two output jacks are wired in parallel with each other, they're both connected directly to the output stage of the amp, so your amp doesn't care whether you plug into one or both as long as the total load doesn't drop below 4 ohms.

V poor labelling. What does the manual say?

Alex

11. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Pasco, WA
    The LH1000 has TWO amps that can be bridged mono for a minimum impedance of 4 ohms. Plus each side can have a minimum impedance of 2ohms individually.

The LH500 has ONE amp that has a minimum impedance of 4 ohms.

As far as labeling goes...don't worry about it. Basically they are assuming that you will be hooking up one or two 8ohm cabs into the LH500. A single 4ohm cab will be fine...just don't add cabs while you are using your 4ohm cab.

The amp outputs are parallel...2 8ohm cabs plugged into the individual amp outputs OR daisy chained (in parallel) is still an 4ohm load...as is a single 4ohm cab.

Joe.

12. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    I'm pretty sure Hartke labeled the outputs that way so that no one will hook up anything less than 2 eight ohm loads when using both outputs. If there is no clarification about using a four ohm load with one output in the owners manual, you might want to email customer service and ask. It would be extremely unlikely that your amp wouldn't see a 4 ohm load with one output connected to one 4 ohm load.

13. John Deacon

John Deacon

Aug 24, 2007
    Virginia
    The manual doesn't really say too too much.

So I should plug both 8ohm outputs of the amp into the two inputs on the back of the 4ohm cab?

14. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008

NO!!!

Edit: sorry to sound rude, but you'll blow it up real good....

15. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

No, just a single cable from amp to cab.

-1 to Jaco. Nothing bad will happen, but you don't need two cables doing the same job.

One cable, from either amp output to either cab input.

PS: The cab does not have outputs. They're inputs.

16. yea, if everything is paralleled, you wont change a thing.

17. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    This thread still here?

Dude, head is 4ohm min, right?

You can even use only one output wired to 2 8ohm cabs if you daisy chain. It doesn't matter.
    Do whatever you want with as many cabs as you want, just make sure the total load is not less than 4ohm...

18. John Deacon

John Deacon

Aug 24, 2007
    Virginia
    So am I running at 500 watts with this cab then? Am I ok?

19. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    Once again. Yes, yes...

20. John Deacon

John Deacon

Aug 24, 2007
    Virginia
    Ok, thanks! I just wated to make sure I didn't destroy it haha