1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

hartke lh500 turns on -- no fan -- NO SOUND

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by low ton 1251, Jul 19, 2012.

1. low ton 1251

low ton 1251

Jul 19, 2012
    so I bought the Hartke lh500 a in February, the place I bought it from is a dealer, but no warranty paperwork so I thought that they would take care of the warranty registration (as some have in the past) I guess they don't though. anywho I played a gig last night and as I have come to expect from the system it was buttery smooth and sounded as good as it always has. I go to play a show tonight and after I set up all my mica and basses(yeah I set 2 up because my guitar player looks cooler with 2 telecasters hanging out on stage) I turn the lh500 on and everything appears to work fine, but no sound. I checked all the usual suspects but no luck. I turn the head on and off again then it works, but not even as long as the soundcheck before it went out. no fuzz no power problems, just no sound and no fan. I tried to get it to work for a while but I had to throw in the towel and cancel the show. I have a very important show soon and I don't have the time to repair it my backup is a HA 2500, but the tube ballast is bad (like so many of the type) so I cant use it. I bought he lh500 because they said it was road worthy and depedable. is there anything I can do to fix my head before the weekend? or do I just forget it and buy/rent another head?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You cancelled the show??? NEVER cancel the show!!! Just plug into a DI going into the PA and do the best you can.

Anyway, it could be the tube or it could be corrosion in the effects loop, which you can test for by running a cord between the effects send and return. If the amp works, it's corrosion, and you should clean them out with contact cleaner. If it doesn't, then try switching out the tube. If that doesn't work, then you'll have to call Hartke. Fortunately, they have great CS, so you'll get fixed up. And you don't have to register your amp for it to be under warranty, though it's a good idea to hang onto the receipt in case of warranty issues.

3. low ton 1251

low ton 1251

Jul 19, 2012
    the effects loop is kept clean. I have been aware of that since the ha2500 days. there was no sign of tube or ballast failure, unless that circuitry also runs to the fan. as cancelling the show goes, I was too bummed to keep playing, it was a cheap show to build business for a friends venue. he understood. that's good to know about their CS ,thanks.

4. I have used hartkes for years,the only problem i have ever encountered with one(a 2500) was the tube came loose from the board and i guess that was my fault from setting the unit on top of the cabinet directly And i was in the same situation as you and mine was out of warranty..I just silicone(around) the tube after in place again and had no problems again.i dont really know why your fan stopped but i would try the tube first to see if that remedy's the problem, maybe it causes it to have a open circuit.if it is a new unit i would rent or borrow one and send the unit back to Hartke, they so have a good service dept.

5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Call Larry!

6. What are you trying to say here?? I have no idea what you are talking about.

7. low ton 1251

low ton 1251

Jul 19, 2012
    Paul- I'm just saying that I have other hartkes and that I know the problems associated with them in the past. but the LH series was supposed to be remedied of the tube problem. also I've never just had it cut out like that and the fan not turn on.

8. Larry Hartke

Larry Hartke

Feb 27, 2010
    Hartke Systems
    Hey low ton 1251,

If you are in the USA see below (if not e-mail me)...

We'll be happy to get your amplifiers up and running for you. All you have to do is call my service manager Frank Cardello 1-800-328-2882 (New York) and he will tell you what to do.

I'm not aware of any tube ballast problem in the 2500's, 3500's or 5500's, so let's take a look at yours and see what the problem is.

BTW- The 2500 does not have a tube preamp it has "tube emulation" whereas the 3500's and 5500's have a tube preamp.

I'm right here if you need further help...

lahartke@comcast.net
    201-680-8153 cell

9. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

It's nice to see the guy with his name on his equipment offer help like that without defending his equipment to the death. Nice job Larry! BTW: that was not sarcastic. I'm impressed.

10. low ton 1251

low ton 1251

Jul 19, 2012
    yeah thanks Larry. ill do that Monday. thank you all for your help.

11. low ton 1251

low ton 1251

Jul 19, 2012
    hey Larry, I was misinforming you about the HA series. its a 2000 not a 2500. it must be my first day or something. anywho, thank you for your help. I will call on Monday. thanks everybody.