1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hartke LH500 Weight

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LostInSauce, Aug 11, 2012.

1. I've scoured these forums and the Hartke website and I can't find anything about the weight of the LH500. I see that plenty of people own these; can anyone give me an estimate?

I'm looking to downsize my rig and even though my Carvin BX1200 is an incredible amp; I'm simply under-utilizing it to the point that I feel guilty everytime I plug it into my 4X10.

Thanks all

2. CnB77

CnB77

Jan 7, 2011
    NJ
    23.10 pounds

3. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Why???

4. Why?? The BX-1200 is a beast. It's hi and low channels put out 400w per side at 4ohms and 1200w bridged. I'm not playing huge venues and own a small 2x10 and a repectable 4x10. I don't see a point in my near future which will require me to use an extension cab, or to continue lugging this monster head around. 99% of all the places my band plays have FOH sound, so the 4x10 equates to stage volume. I'm looking into one of the smaller 500w amp heads (Hartke LH500/GK MB500).

5. BassmanPaul

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Problem is the smaller heads that use a standard transformer based power supply arn't going to be all that much lighter. I use a BX1500 as my #2 amp at about 10Lbs it is a breeze to move.

6. True, the BX1500 tips the scale in the 11lb area. The BX1200 is 33lbs in the case.

7. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I lug an LH1000 with a lone 2 x 10 LDS cab. Love the tone so, I guess it's worth it.

8. gerryjazzman

gerryjazzman Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2006
    New Jersey
    If you like the sound of the BX1200, you might miss the EQ flexibility with an LH500 (3 bands of interactive Fender-ish EQ). How about a Carvin BX500? Light, less than 6 lbs, and 500 watts into 4 or 2 ohms. About the same EQ capability as the BX1200 (just one less semi-parametric EQ) so you'll be in the same tonal universe. I have one myself and I love it. Holds it's own against my Eden WT300 and Navigator preamp.

But I'm with Paul, just keep the volume down on the BX1200 and it'll be fine. Unless you just want to shed the weight, in which case then my vote would be for the BX500.

9. BassmanPaul

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    My main amp is a full tube pre-amp driving a stereo power amp. I pulled a muscle lifting the rack atop my stack of 2x10s. I replaced the Mackie FR1400 that was in the case with a DCM1000L. I can detect no difference in either sound or "feel" between the two iterations. The weight difference is dramatic.