Hartke Match

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by donkey, Sep 5, 2005.

1. Hi all,
    I'm new to this forum and I'm looking for more opinions. I happened on this site while researching a set-up that I'm in the midst of purchasing. I got what I think is a very good deal on a Hartke 4200 cabinet. My salesman recommended the Hartke 5500 amp as a great match for the cabinet. I realized that the 4200 is rated at 400W at 4 ohms while the 5500 is 500W at 4 ohms. I've been playing a combo for years so I'm kinda out of the loop on these set ups. I've since been told by some that the salesman is wrong, I'll void my warranty,etc. Also, I've come to the conclusion that he's not B.S.ing me and that there are to different schools of thought on power vs. cabinet rating and this topic opens lively debate. Anyways, any opinions, warnings, annecdotes etc. would be greatly appreciated from my fellow low freqs. THANX
  2. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    The cab and head match without a problem. If you like Hartke gear, get the two together. Whoever told you the head and cab are incompatible because of a slightly different wattage handling rating on the cab, doesn't know what they are talking about. You are normally safe putting twice the watts into a cab that it is rated for, as long as you aren't "running on 10".
  3. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Those will work, just be carefull not to go into the very top end of the Volume control.