1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hartke model 2000 + Yorkville 115BX

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nicopiano, Jul 30, 2012.

1. nicopiano

nicopiano Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Levis, Quebec, Canada
    I'm looking for a bass amp for practice, small gig or to use as monitor with D.I. in the PA system. I'm playing almost every style of music (rock, country, jazz, pop, latin...)

I want to buy used. Ive got 2 opportunity right now:

Head : Hartke Systems model 2000 + cab : Yorkville 115BX 300 watt. 1 speaker 15 inch. 400$

or

Combo Carvin MB15, almost new, 1 speaker 15 inch, 350$

Thank you for your advices! (answer quickly is possible!)

2. nicopiano

Jul 3, 2012
    Levis, Quebec, Canada
    The prices are in canadian dollars.

Thank you in advance for your advices.

3. FWIW, I've got the old Model 2000 head myself and have been fairly impressed with it. Around these parts, the head goes for around $200 US. Anyhoo, it has a lot of tonal flexibility, decent power output, and will work well with whatever cab(s) you put behind it. My only complaint is the lack of a balanced DI out, and the protruding knobs & EQ sliders. IMHO, I generally prefer component systems over combo's for flexibility reasons-meaning that even if it's a backup, you can still use it to drive your big cabs if your main rig craps out. I even use mine for bigger gigs, I just have different cabs for different size stages, etc.

4. nicopiano

Jul 3, 2012
    Levis, Quebec, Canada
    Thank you.

5. YuppyPunk

YuppyPunk

Oct 21, 2011
    Given the small price difference I would chose a head+cab rig over a combo. Far greater flexibility and upgradability.