Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hartke Model 3500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DryWater'Bass, Dec 15, 2001.

1. Hey, guys a little help, being a student, I'm looking for an in-expensive cabinet, I'm currently planning to use a Hartke 3500(350@4 & 240@8).What kind of full range cabinet can you guys suggest?

2. Bass-only

Bass-only Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2001
    Cleveland
    You've got a nice start with the 3500. I used one for several years. Lots of volume and tone shaping.

If you're playing moderate to loud (and you only want one cab) get a 4-10 cab.

I would suggest either a used SWR Golliath, or Eden 210T - or (for the money) I hear the Carvin cabs aren't bad.

Keep in mind, if you start with something less that a SWR or Eden, you're going to get one (or it's equivalent) eventually. I'm sure there's some other decent stuff I haven't mentioned, but SWR and Eden is what I've personally used and recommend.

Good luck! (get a good speaker and guitar cable also!).

3. For the money it's hard to beat the Carvin RL410 and the Peavey 410TX and 410TVX.Both these cabinets give you pro tone for about half what the big(SWR-EDEN)names cost.I've owned both the Carvin and Peavey 410s and it's a toss-up which sounds better.I like the Carvins mid-bass and highs a little better and it still sounds pretty deep.The Peaveys have a deeper bottom and would be a good choice if you use a 5-string.The Carvin weighs about 20lbs.less(72lbs.)while the Peavey TX weighs 90lbs and the TVX 95lbs.The Carvin cab and the PeaveyTX are 8 ohm while the PeaveyTVX comes in 4ohm.
    I agree with Bass-Only that if you start with inexpensive cabs you'll want to move up someday(I use Edens now)but these sound pretty darn good.If you can afford it used Eden,SWR,Ampeg or even Hartke XLs are a good buy.Try to get a 410 though.210s work pretty well on small jobs but a good 410 can handle about anything.

4. Thanks for the current-replys, guys.I looked at the peavey TVX's, and they look good.My big bro had a Peavey combo, that sounded sweet, can you give me any estimates on those cabinets, I know the price on the Carvin, help is appreciated.

5. I think the price on the TVX is about$599.So take 20% to30% off,depending on your dealers discount.

6. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    in response to bass-only: you dont wanna use a guitar cable to connect the head to the cab. get a speaker cable. otherwise you could cause damage to your rig.

also-id stay away from the carvin if you can. not very efficient (read:loud) and also lacking in the low end department. and isnt that what bass is all about?

i do like peaveys stuff though, seems like a good deal as well as beign reliable and loud. i had an old peavey combo that just wouldnt die.

7. Bass-only

Bass-only Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2001
    Cleveland
    I hope you understood that I meant the good speaker cable is for the speaker hookup and the good guitar cable is for the guitar!

SRSiegel is right - dont get them confused!

You can get a used Eden 410T for $450 - $500 and a SWR Golliath II for around the $400 - $450 mark (probably the best value!). This way you don't need to replace later - just add to them!

If you can swing it - get the better stuff! (just kick in some Christmas money!)