hartke or swr

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by turkish, Jul 14, 2002.

1. turkish

turkish Guest

Jul 14, 2002
    FCCAUSA, or here
    hartke kickback 15 or swr workingmans 15, they both sound great i can't decide
  2. go for the hartke.. it has aluminium cone :)

my friend, who builds very expensive high-end speaker-systems, once told me that a hard, solid cone can produce better lows, because the thin material goes flabbery... thin cone will give you good mids but the low ( 30hz for example ) frequencies fart out.

dunno if it's true, but since my car's subwoofer has a bulletproof thick plastic cone, i give him the benefit of the doubt..
  3. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    I've never really liked the sound of Hartke's in general. They just seem kind of cold to me.
  4. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    i've owned both. the kick backs don't have a lot of power or headroom. and those aluminum drivers do get blown. i never cranked my kb 12 or 15 and both those speakers went within 6 months. i tkink they sound cold as well. the wm 15 however, is one of my favorite amps. it sounds phat and warm as solid states go and has a great low end with a rather quick response, compared to other 15" combos i've played. i'd go with that one because i've heard only negative things from others who have owned kb's too.
  5. JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    i personally like the hartke sound. if they both sound great, i would just buy whichever costs less.
  6. Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    i used to have a WM15.

GREAT amp. i loved the sound of it. wish i could have kept it. i needed something louder.. which is the main reason i got rid of it. put some more handles on there.. get a little cart/dolly board.. wonderful.

i havent much experience with hartke kickbacks.. but the cabinets/heads ive played through do indeed sound very nice. many people have said they blow very easily.

of those two.. i say go with SWR.
  7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Go with the SWR. The KB's are underpowered. Trust me. I'd take a WM-12 before a Hartke Kickback.
  8. steveg

Feb 26, 2002
    Madison, WI
    I own a Kickback 12. I play in a 5 piece band and have no problem with volume. However, keep in mind either of these amps are in the 120 Watt range and are going to need a little help from the PA. I haven't had any reliablity problems with my Hartke, and I push it pretty hard.

If I remember right, the SWR has an output for an extension cab, which the Hartke doesn't have. That might be a plus.