1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hartke Owners, tell me about the 210XL...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BrentSimons, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Hey Guys,
    I'm in the mood for something new and don't want to pay a ton of cash. How is the Hartke 210Xl? Looks like a steal for the price. I play mostly progressive rock, plus a little classic rock. I will be using a GK 400RBIV with it plus a Line 6 Bass Pod XT. I'm not gigging so this would be for at home, maybe a small bar venue. Your opinions, please...
    Brent

2. Big fan of Hartke - I love the 410XL. The 210XL? Not as much. For home use it would be pretty solid, but as soon as you try to put it against a drum kit you'll probably wish you had something that could handle more volume.

3. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    i agree just go for a 410, not too expensive and you can just turn down at your home.

4. That's what I was wondering. I don't think i would want to buy two cabs but I bet the 210XL and the 115XL sound great together. I just think the 410XL would be overkill for me but I must say the price is quite tempting. Thank you for your insight!
    Brent

5. Larry Hartke

Larry Hartke

Feb 27, 2010
    Hartke Systems
    BrentSimons,

You might also consider the new HyDrive 112.

www.Hartke.com

6. Now that's awesome! the Man himself!
    Hey Larry,
    Actually that is my predicament. have two GK Neo 112's right now but I don't think they are doing it for me. I think I miss my 10's ya know? When are you guys gonna release a Hydrive 210 with the impedance switching? Huh? Huh?
    Brent

7. I really like my 210XL. I use it at home and at small venues. I throw it on top of my VX410 for loud gigs... sounds monster huge.

I bought mine as "B stock" from 8th Street Music and I still don't know why... can't find a scratch or dent on it. I got it for $150.

@Larry: You design and make great equipment. Keep up the good work. I have been playing something with Hartke on it since the early 90's.

8. harleyboy

harleyboy

Jan 8, 2007
    I would love to see Hydrive 210 also!

9. FWIW

I "made" a "HX210" from my HX5210C. I got rid of the LH500 cut the top the housed the amp off and viola an "HX 210/5210C" so to speak. If I am not mistaken the speakers in the 5210C are rated the same as the ones in the HX410. 250 watts ea.
    Kwesi who is a TB member has a FS threadsell my modded 5210C. I think he is selling it for $250 if you wanna give it a shot you will not be dissappointed.
    It is a gr8 cab I loved it and I am debating on buying it back.

I would love to see an HX210 rated @ 500 watts 8ohms that would be very cool. I utilized my modded 5210C w the HX115 which is another gr8 cab.
    It sounded perfect for a 210 115 setup.

I own a HX410 too cab and love Larry's stuff.

Lanis

10. Beersurgeon

Beersurgeon

Jul 16, 2010
    Denver
    Hi,
    I have a 210XL that I use to supplement my acoustic B200, a 200w 15" combo. I haven't used the 210XL on it's own. For my hobby/cover band, this combo just rocks. Out of the two, I feel the construction of the 210XL is much better than the B200. I like that it has a metal grate over the speakers and the wood is thicker than the B200. I feel you could drop the cab and it would be just fine. In fact, if I become a rock star :p:help:, or start doing bar gigs, I would definitely use a Hartkle cab in a heart beat!! I feel that they could take the moving and banging around that gigs do to equipment.

I wish I could give an opinion on it's tone but I haven't used it by itself. I can tell you that I love how the 15" and 210 sound together.

I'm a bit of an acoustic aficionado because of Jaco, but when I upgrade to a bigger, better setup, Hartke cabs will compete fiercely with acoustic because how impressed I am with my 210XL.

11. That's nice to hear, thanks!
    Brent

12. trowaclown

trowaclown

Feb 26, 2008
    Has anyone had any experience with stacking two of these cabs to form a single line of 4 speakers? This seems like a good poor man's version of stacking two RS210s. I'm thinking of trying this out but will really appreciate any prior experience on this forum.

13. lazyone2

lazyone2

Jul 27, 2006
    new jersey shore
    If you want a 210 cab look for a used 2.5XL. Its one of my favorites. It has more range then the 210XL. It is a deeper cab and also has a 5" mid driver. To my ears the 2.5XL would be the way to go. I also believe Larry has provided a very sound suggestion.

14. schecterbassnut

schecterbassnut

Oct 7, 2009
    i have a 2x10XL cab and i pair it with a 4x10XL cab, but when i do small gigs and tight rehersal the 2x10 is right for it by itself....

i run a hartke 3500 amp if your woundering what amp i use

hope this helps mate :)

regards

15. Will Kelly

Will Kelly

Mar 3, 2010
    TX
    Just checked out sam ash.com (not really recommending them) and they have the hydrive 1X12 for less than 350 bucks shipped. That is a great price for what seems like a good cabinet.

I am seriously thinking about snagging one of these just for giggles to use at home and to save the wear and tear on my several year old Berg cabs.

16. joebeadg

joebeadg

Sep 1, 2010
    eustis fl
    I run a 2,5XL and 115XL with a 7000 head, awsome. But for rehearsals or jams, I usually just take the 2.5, it kicks ass! Its loader then I ever need (classic rock, that type of stuff), and always sounds real nice, and I get a lot of compliments on the sound. LARRY, why isn't the 2.5 on you're website anymore?

17. Burke

Burke

Nov 16, 2007
    I stack a 210XL with a 115XL and it's pretty nice sounding. I'm pushing 400w out of a SWR WM4004 head and I am very pleased.

18. madmatt

madmatt

Apr 28, 2009
    I have a 2.5XL and a 210XL. They stack up flush in the front and look just like a 4x10 running at 4 ohms.
    I push them with an HA2500 head. I usually only turn the volume up to about noon, plenty loud.
    This is really a great setup, you can go 2x10 at home, or 4x10 on stage. It will be loud enough for at least a medium sized stage.
    Total cost: about $650.00. First you have to find a 2.5XL though. It uses the same speakers as the 210XL, but it is ported.

A side note. I also have a GK 700RB/115 Combo amp (one of the first ones that puts out only 380 Watts). I put that 210XL on top of the 15" combo and it sounds great too.

19. guitarhuckster1

guitarhuckster1

Aug 28, 2010
    Finland
    You wouldn't happen to have a picture? I've been thinking about doing the same thing.

20. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    I have the 410xl and because the cab is divided down the middle into 2 separate ported chambers it's essentially a pair of 210xl's in one (jump in here and correct me if i'm wrong Larry)

If you had 2 210's, you would have the option of a scaled down rig for practice/low volume acoustic jams. or bring its twin so you can move enough air to keep up with the drummer or Marshall half-stack.

Easier on the back to carry em separate anyway.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021