Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HARTKE Pre Amp (Solid State/Tube)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by smithy, Oct 4, 2004.

1. smithy

smithy

Oct 3, 2004
    Tasmania
    Just picked up a 300 Watt Hartke Head.

It has a tube and solid state pre amp, and you can mix them.

I currently have the solid state on 0, and the tube on 5 out of 10. As you'd expect, the tube sounds great.

How hard can I push these tubes? Can they handle being on 10 all the time? It's sound best on 10.

2. Jaycephas

Jaycephas Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2003
    Waxhaw, NC
    I'm guessing you got a 3500, which is rated at 350 Watts into 4 ohms. Not sure Hartke makes a 300 Watt head with a tube pre-amp.

Anyway, I've had my 3500 for five years and have no complaints. I've pushed it hard through an Eden D-210xlt and a D-115 at 4 ohms. Lots of power and good sound.

I rarely used the SS pre-amp, and the graphic eq is usually switched off.

3. smithy

smithy

Oct 3, 2004
    Tasmania
    Sorry, yep it's 350W.

That's heartening, I'll crank the tube up a bit!

I have the EQ flat, but I push 1K up a bit in the bass vs kick drum war!

4. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I have both the 7000 and the 3500 heads. I've never been able to make either pre- amp distort even at it's max setting (athough I typicaly run them at about 6 normally). I have a friend who also uses the 3500 head and he runs just the tube pre at 10 at all times and hasn't seemed to have had any problems with it.

I had my 7000 head for nearly 10 years (playing full time, 3-6 nights a week, 1-5 sets per night with occasional doubles) before I had to change the tube. I was starting to get intermittent (uncontroled) distortion.