Hartke problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Burgie, Oct 13, 2003.

1. Burgie

Jul 15, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Question: Does anyone know what would cause a Hartke 2000 head to cut out at random times? Here's the situation: Had a practice-sounded fine. Got to the gig-plugged in and played a bit-sounded fine. Did soundcheck-sounded fine. Plugged in to start the show an hour later, and it was all cracking and popping and cutting out. Had miniature freak-out, and had to use the backup amp. THEN...second set, tried the Hartke again, and it worked fine for the rest of the gig.
    What gives?? The battery in the bass is fine, the fuses in the amp test okay, my cords are okay, but beyond that, I'm kind of ignorant on electronic trouble-shooting.

Seeking your wisdom...Thanks!!
  2. The simplest thing that could be wrong, would be a bad lead. Try your amp with different power, speaker and guitar leads and see it it still play's up. If that doesn't cure the problem, you'll have to have the amp checked out by a technician. It may be just a bad internal solder joint or something like that.
  3. Char-Lee

Aug 29, 2002
    Spokane, WA
    I've had a couple of Hartke amps myself, and I work in a music store that carries these amps. I have had similar problems and all of them including most problems with customer's amps is the fan being cheap and burning out within the first 6month to a year but when this happens you usually smell burning wires and then it shuts off.
  4. Shuller

Feb 2, 2003
    moscow, russia
    I was planning on getting a hartke 2000 preamp +15 inch combo but over here they go for about 900$ are they worth it? I played it with my own bass and it sounded delicious or should I go for ampeg's 150 watt amp with some shabby effects console?
  5. Burgie

Jul 15, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Well, for what it's worth, I got my Hartke 2000 head in about 1995, played hundreds of shows with it and it's been lugged all around Texas, and this is the first hint of a problem I've ever had with it. I've been very pleased. My cabinet is a 2x10 Ampeg Classic purchased in 1997, and I've loved it as well...
  6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

At that age it's probably starting to show signs of slowing down. Another thing to check is to see if the outlets that your gear is plugged into is grounded! If not, that can also cause problems with electronics that are meant to be plugged into grounded outlets! Buy a $5 circuit tester and check all outlets at all venues before you play! Make it a part of your contract that they have to replace your gear if it is damaged by them not having their elec. up to code! Most likely not to happen though but you could try.
  7. jazzcatb17

Dec 27, 2002
    Louisville, Ky
    Captian murphy of sealab 2021 voice on

Your darn right you've got a problem, you've got a hartke! Maybe im crazy, but if this is crazy i dont wanna be sane. you can bet your fignuts your hartkes the problem, No knight of the order of the red planet mars would ever be seen with such a amp. You better believe you should trade out for a squire! Why in Judas Rockin Priest wouldnt you? so ive got to ask one thing, moustache on or off? too bad. quick too the pudding bins!! is there ever a bad time for pudding? ...is there? The squire? its not a toy, it bakes real cupcakes with a 40 watt bulb, and it has frosting packets, and sprinkles, but the real ingredient... is love. Ahhh, my nipples are hards just thinking of it. All i want is some balls!!!

Captain murphy voice off

Seriously brother, if you feel somewhat comfortable with electronics, pop the thing open and see if theres any loose wires or half set circuit board items. you might wanna replace the tube if its older. I dont think the 2000 has a fan, but if it does check that. and finally get a blowgun and clean the dust out, youd be suprised what some dirt can do. some dust falls in the right place and the amps circuit is cut or worst yet it short circuits. If you dont feel comfortable just take it to some electronics guy nearby, most likely it wont cost you more then $40 bucks to fix. have fun.

Captain murphy voice on

ohh, there go my nipples again. This is howling mad murphy, on pirate radio, signing off!
  8. ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    I had a similar problem with one of my Hartke amps not long ago. The input jack was shot and had to be replaced. (After being used for almost ten years, it's bound to happen regardless of what brand amp you use. ) I did it myself and it took me a total of ten minutes. But if you're not comfortable with soldering on PC boards, find someone who is.

You may also want to check your AC power cord, they can take a lot of abuse over time.