Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hartke problems

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sixfthick, Aug 12, 2003.

1. sixfthick

sixfthick

Jul 15, 2003
    I'm hoping that someone can shed some light on my problem. My gear is as follows:

BC Rich Warlock Bass -> Korg Toneworks AX1B -> Ibanez Phat Hed Distortion PD7 -> Boss Noise Suppressor NS-2 -> Hartke 7000 Head -> Hartke 4200 Cab

The problem is that I get an unusual banging/farting noise when I play my bass that little bit harder than usual. Turning the tube pre-amp on the head all the way down eliminates the problem, but changes my tone dramatically. I know it's not string buzz causing it, but I'm not sure if it's a head or cab problem, or if I'm just pushing it too hard.

Would apprecitate any feedback

Mike

2. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    I played a 7000 for a few years and never had that problem. I use very few effects though so many thats your problem. I personally think ibanez effects suck so maybe you should try taking that out of your signal path. You could also turn down the compression a bit.

3. sixfthick

sixfthick

Jul 15, 2003
    Only really notice it when I play with distortion (which is most of the time) which leads me to believe that I'm just pushing it too hard..

4. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Ibanez pedals DO suck, well the ones for bass playing do IMO. Try taking a few bits an bobs out of your chain, or compromise.

Have all the pedals checked over by a pro to see if theres a dodgy connection/soldering somewheres, or get your bass checked out.

Its probably going to be an effect, if not that, then probably the head, but least likley the bass if you treat it well :D

5. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

If turning the tube blend all theway down eliminates it, changeout the preamp tube. You know, "if you have a tooth ache, it's prolly a tooth"

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

That's like the famous joke :

Man goes to a doctor and says - Doctor, if I do this with my arm, I get this terrible pain!

Doctor says - well don't do that with your arm then!!

:D

7. lammy

lammy

Dec 8, 2003
    Spring Hill, FL.
    same problem here, but its not when i play harder than usual.

i have as follows:
    ibanez soundgear 5-string
    hartke HA3500 350 watt head (rack mounted)
    hartke 410XL 4x10" cab
    hartke VX115 1x15" cab
    korg digital tuner (rack mounted)

heres the deal, i replaced my previous set up with this set up the other day and i tried for about an hour and a half to get rid of this same noise. no luck, a little differance, but not good enough and not the tone i'm looking for. i bought everything from sam ash. the head was used and the cabs and guitar were brand new(i got the tuner from my brother). i opted to buy the used HA3500 because it sounded stronger than the new HA3500 at all the same settings and through the same speakers(which i purchased)for some reason. i got it back to the studio for practice and got this sound. i have to put the volume up to about 6 - 6 1/2 to compete with my drummer and guitarists. if i turn down i really don't get the noise, but you can't hear the bass at all either.

does anybody have any suggestions to help relieve us of this sound??

8. jawzzz

jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    I think that it is just the Hartke heads and cabinets. I had a 3500 head,410 BXL and a 2.5XL last year and had the same problem. At practice, we tried everything to get it to stop, but the only thing that worked, was to turn down the volume, which in turn made it hard to hear the bass. I was very disappointed, so I sold it and bought an Ampeg rig.

If you have a loud drummer, I don't think Hartke is the way to go. The only other solution might be to add another cabinet. With a 7000 head this just might solve the problem.

9. well my first suggestion is to get the other guitarists to turn down. If your struggling to be heard w/ the master out at 6 then you've got a problem.

I've been using my hartke 3500 for 9yrs and I've not ever heard banging. Farting out yes, but banging no. I even had to replace the preamp tube once as the output started to get noisey-crackly. A trip to the repair shop to replace the tube and resolder a connection solved it.
    I would try a simple connection path to eliminate all the other varibles. just you bass, a chord and your amp. if you still get banging, then you've got a problem somewhere along this chain.

As for banging speakers. I've not heard that type of sound from my Hartke gear (I have a 1x15 and 2X10XL's) . The only times I've heard my 10" speakers fart out is when i drive the 2 x 10 cab w/ the Hartke HA150 head (in the kickbacks). It seems to struggle above 6 or 8 to drive the 210XL.

frank

10. Armchair Thief

Armchair Thief Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    Hmmm... very interesting. I wonder if this is the same problem I had many years ago with my own Hartke 3500 head and 4x10 cab.

When I turned the volume up to a certain level, the cabinet would just "fart out" for want of a better term. A really loud, obnoxious PBLBLBPBLBPBLBPBLBPBLBPBLBPBLP sound. Is this what you guys are getting?

Turns out the wood bracing/chamber/divider thingy inside was resonating and it was vibrating LOUDLY against the outer wood shell layer on the back of the cab (or perhaps it was the other way around, or a combination of both.) They were not physically joined by screws or glue, but just simply touching each other. For awhile, I propped a huge cinder block against the back of the cab to keep it from vibrating, but this wasn't practical and I just ended up peeling back the protective outer cloth stuff and screwed in a half dozen hefty screws right down the middle of the back where the internal wood bracing met the back panel edge on, to hold it all together and keep them from vibrating against each other. Loud farting noise gone!

11. BottomLine

BottomLine

Nov 17, 2002
    Rochester MI
    I just played out a couple weekends ago with my Hartke 2155 combo (2000 head and XL15"/5" drivers)and got the same farting, burping, just downright nasty distortion sound.....
    I was using my Shure wireless and found I was overdriving the preamp(hard to tell with no peak indicator).
    Turning down the pre amp levels so they both equaled 10 when combined, and plugging into the active input solved the problem. Of course I had to turn up the master to 6, but I got CLEAN SOUND!!!!

Hope this helps!