Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hartke question.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Acacia, Aug 26, 2000.

1. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    OK, I found a Hartke 200w head and a Hartke 4x10 cab. I didn't get a chance to play thru it yet, but will soon. It is in my price range. ($800)

Any Hartke players? Good experiences? Bad? Thanx in advance.

2. Eric M

Eric M

Aug 26, 2000
    I use a hartke 5.4 xl and sometimes coupled with a Hartke 2x15.

Hartkes are an acquired taste - either you like them or you don't. If you are going to really load power into them (sounds like you won't be, at 200w), they tend not to take as much punishment as some other more 'ordinary' speakers.

One thing is for sure, ALWAYS give them time to warm up after they are out in winter temperatures. When they get cold, they get brittle, and can be easily damaged if you plug them in and stress them right away when they're cold.

3. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    The cabinets sounds great, (assuming it is in good condition)if the amp doesn't work out you can sell it.

I'm an SWR man myself so I really don't know the vaiue of the rig you described.

4. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    All the gear is new and I didn't have time to write down model numbers. If I go back next weekend, I'll check it out.

5. Doug

Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    Sean, I'm not too crazy about their heads. I used to have a 3500 at one time. However, I like their 4x10" xl cabs, but not the TP(Transporter Series). I'll second Eric, they are an acquired taste.

6. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I use 2 410 on top of 2 118 cabs and find they deliver plenty of punch. I also second that be careful when they are cold and also since they are 8ohm cabs, dont mix them with 4 ohm cabs.

7. timv

timv Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Chandler, AZ
    I bought a hartke model 2000 new about 5-6 years ago and blew it twice in the first 6 months. Luckily it was sitll under warranty but i had to pay shipping both times. I heard other bad stories also but that was several years ago. Maybe the quality has gotten better.

8. I've had my hartke 3500 for a month now.. if not more.. and still not one prob with the head.. just my crappy peavey cab.. the head is great!

-Willz

9. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    Although I've posted this many times before, I'll repeat it for conversations sake.;)

I've used Hartke for many years and have never had major problems with either the heads or the cabs. I had originally been turned on to Hartke after I had numerous problems with a Trace head that I was using. After using a Hartke "loaner" on several gigs, I went back to the store and purchased a 3500 head for my very own! Been using one ever since. Very happy with it.:)

But like the comments above, Hartke is an aquired taste, both the heads and cabs may take some getting used to.

Good luck!!! Hope this helps!

10. Sean,
    I used Hartke stuff for 9 years, and really liked it. I would get more than 200 watts though. Go for the 3500 head. It's 350 watts, and you can always add another cab. Oh, and make sure the cab you're getting is the XL, not the Transporter.

11. I would agree with Dave, go for the 3500 head, you won't be disapointed. The 200w head could leave wanting for more power/headroom in certian situations.

I've been playing thru an early Hartke 210 combo(350w) and on occation hook up my 1x15 XL cab for full monster sound.

good luck!

12. RickenbackeR

RickenbackeR

Mar 28, 2000
    What exactly is the difference between the TP and the XL series?

Sean, i think you got a good deal, 410 cab and 2000 head for $800 new is pretty good i think.

13. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I recently posted this answer in another Hartke thread:

"Had a H2000 head for I think 8 years, never any problems, except for one break down in the first few months, but I think it was because I did use an instrument cable instead of a speaker cable - uhhh.
    As it was a little harsh sounding and not really overpowered for my needs I upgraded recently.
    Most people say Hartke is great value for the money and very well built for a Korean made product."

Recently I played in a rehearsal room with a Hartke 3500 head and 115 and 410 XL cabs - tons of power, decent sound with a bit of EQing.

RickenbackeR:
    The Transporter series is cheaper and lighter than the XL series.
    People say the XL series is WELL worth the extra $$...
    There seem to be better 'budget' cabs than the TP series.

Matthias

14. Mr Bassman

Mr Bassman

Aug 28, 2000
    UK
    I have a Hartke Model 7000 head for about 8 months.

Good:

Good sound, fairly punchy, excellent graphic eq, overall - quite pleasing but nothing amazing

Bad:

Not much apart from the tube preamp dosen't sound like an original tube but thats not a big thing!

L8r - Niggy®

15. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    woburn
    How are the hartke 210 cabs? i haven't really heard anything. By the way, I use a 3500, couldn't love it more. Especially when paired with and swr cab;)

16. I have the HA-7000 and i really love it. I hear a bit of a difference with between the tue and SS preamps, although not much. It has great sound. I can get tons of sounds out of the amp. If somneone were to steal it I would be at the store bying another one. I bi-amp it through a carvin RL1-18 and a Genz Benz 2-10 so i cant comment on the cabs but the head is top notch.

17. ArtBlegen

ArtBlegen

Mar 27, 2002
    I just sold an HA7000 and bought a Super Redhead. I liked the Hartke head (played through Peavey cabs), but it was noisy. The thing Idled like a 747! One thing I noticed, though, is that the power amp section did not like being turned up over 4. LOTS of power up till that point but not much after that. It also didnt have the dynamic range that my SWR has.

18. Hi:
    I've also played thru hartkes since 93. I've had the same 3500, same 1X15 and 2X10.5s. The head and cabs have been greats, lots of use and abuse. I think everyones suggestion about listening to them first is key. AS they have to be your cup o' tea. IMO they are punchy, warm, and tight. Lots of good mids, but not as warms as some Eden type speakers. The 5" tweeters really shine. Some people love em and some don't.
    Over the almost 10yrs, they have been a great durable system. I've had only one problem -one of my 10" blew out. For me to fix it required either sending back the whole 50+ lb 2X10.5 cab back to hartke or find a beat-up 4X10 cab and cannibalize parts.
    try em out first
    frank

19. JoelEoM

JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    i have a 2.5XL (210s, 5" midrange) and i love it. i like it even better than the 410s, ive played thru both the 410XLs and the 4.5XLs. its not all that warm, as some others have said, but it gets a great slap tone, and i think its punchier than some eden 410s ive played. my only gripes are that build quality isnt up to par with say eden or swr, and i wish i could handle more power. also, its freakin heavy for a 210. i think the 2.5XLs weigh in around 70 pounds, but i could be wrong...