1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hartke Questions!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JoeyZ, Mar 17, 2009.

1. JoeyZ

JoeyZ

May 9, 2005
    I'm looking at a Hartke HCV810 cab.
    What I want to know is if anyone here has had any experience with this cab. Weight? I'm assuming it's not a light cab but would it be much heavier than the 6x10 ampeg I have now?
    Also, I've read a couple different specs on it.
    One says it's 800 watts at 8ohms and the other says it's 800 at 4ohms.

I may be able to get one of these for around $300 used, so obviously I'm pretty interested!

Thanks guys/gals!

Visual representation:
    VX810-angle-web.

2. Ive heard that people who are a fan of paper cone speakers like them, especially for their pricepoint.

Im more likely leaning towards the 4 ohm statement, but there could be a choice from the factory, like some other cabinets.

3. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    I would be surprised if that is anything but a 4-ohm cab.

Just make sure you have enough wattage to push it.

4. Yeah, at least 400.. at LEAST

5. JoeyZ

JoeyZ

May 9, 2005
    oooh, Yeah..I don't know then.
    I have a backline 600 which is 300 at 4ohms. poop.

6. Yeah, better off going with a 4x10, no need for a fridge.

For $300 you can find a nice deal on a lot of 4x10's.

7. JoeyZ

JoeyZ

May 9, 2005
    Yeah, I've been mulling it over in my head. I keep thinking that an 8x10 cab, though it'd LOOK cool would just be way too big and heavy.
    Now, I find out my head wouldn't come close to pushing it and the idea is almost out the window.

On the topic of 4x10's. Would I be able to properly power say two 8ohm cabs? Like a 4x10 and a 1x15? I like that kind kind of setup, and with that I could easily move it.

8. Dogbertday

Dogbertday Commercial User

Jul 10, 2007
    SE Wisconsin
    Blaine Music LLC
    I've used the 410 + 115 setup for a while and It's deffinately not that bad to move. And for smaller gigs you can just bring one cab.

Something to consider though... Two cabs, a head, and a bass generally equals 3 trips to your car. I like (when the gig's too loud and I'm not using my Ampeg combo) to use a single 410 and find a way to lean it back so I can hear myself and use the PA support to push my sound. If I have no PA support I crank the hell out if and try to raise it to ear level by standing it on something so I can hear myself and I push my sound. (of course this choice also assumes that you aren't relying on the amp-ground relationship for your low end production.)

9. JoeyZ

JoeyZ

May 9, 2005
    Trips to the car don't really concern me, though. I mean, as a band we help eachother bring everything in from the van so on most occasions I'm making at least three trips and sometimes I won't have even carried any of my own stuff.
    I like the idea that you can separate the cabs and bring what you need when the shows aren't going to be huge, though.
    I'm fairly tall (6'3) which is why the 8x10, 6x10, 4x10 with a 1x15 under it, appeals to me. I'd like to be able to adjust without having to reach down to the ground!
    Although, at this point anything would be an upgrade.

10. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    A 300-watt head and a 4x10 cab should be all you need for everything but huge indoor stages and/or outdoor gigs. That's when an 8x10 or more is really nice. I haven't owned anything besides a single 4X10 cabinet for the past 10 years and it's been plenty.

I hardly ever see anybody using 15-inch or 18-inch bass cabs anymore (around here, at least). With the P.A. carrying the low end there is usually more than enough bottom on stage the way it is. 10-inch drivers do a lot better at filling in those mids and highs which is what you really need on stage.

Oh yeah and get yourself a milk crate and put your 4x10 cabinet on it, then "skirt" the bottom of the cab with some black cloth and your cabinet is up at the right height and you're good to go.