1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hartke Random Low End Wobble

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Indremafan, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Indremafan

Indremafan

Jul 27, 2012
    So i have a second-hand Hartke HA3500. A few weeks ago was at a house show that my band was supposed to play, but the PA didn't show up. My bandmate had his mixer on him, and we came up with a ghetto idea that would get us by for a house show.

We ran the vocals, guitar, bass, and backtrack through my bass amp for the low end and also through his guitar amp for the highs. Everything sounded just fine during the show. Next show i play there's alot of rattle coming from the speakers. I can get by and play shows if i turn the low EQ down, but i really like a lot of feel in my sound.

I tried swaping the instrument cable, the speaker cable, the bass, the cab, and the tube. Even tested my cab with another head and it sounded fine.

Was hoping someone might know what the problem is so that i might be able to fix it myself. Otherwise with repair costs being what they are i'll prolly just have to replace it, but i was trying to save up for a 5 string >.<

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Too bad you didn't put Hartke in the thread title. Larry Hartke's pretty good about reading threads about his products and has been very helpful to folks on here. You should change it if you can. If not, call Hartke CS and see what they have to say.

3. majortoby

majortoby

Jul 2, 2009
    Tampa, Fl USA
    If there is a lot of grinding, rattling, or wobbling coming from it, you could always just use it as an amp for dubstep. :D

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Try replacing the speakers. Seriously, you may have overdiven the input buffer or something in the preamp.

5. Indremafan

Indremafan

Jul 27, 2012
    Thanks Jimmy, fix'd :)
    @Munji: "Even tested my cab with another head and it sounded fine."
    Also tested my head through another cab and it had the same problem.

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    "Seriously, you may have overdiven the input buffer or something in the preamp."

7. Indremafan

Indremafan

Jul 27, 2012
    Anyway to pinpoint which one of those it actually is myself?

8. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    The problem may not be related to the way the amp was used. It could be coincidence. I'm guessing a solder joint has let go inside the amp. BUT... First try connecting fx in and fx out with a guitar cable (to eliminate the possibility of dirty NC contacts in the fx return jack). If that doesn't fix it, go inside the amp and reseat the tube if it has one. Also reseat any+all internal cables, and tighten any mounting screws because those sometimes serve as ground connections. If none of that fixes the problem, I'm voting for a broken solder joint. If you can solder competently, you can fix it. If you can't, then it's tech time. (Or replacement time if you don't want to spend the $$$. But finding/fixing a bad solder joint is typically cheap work.) An interim solution might be to isolate the amp case from cab vibrations -- just don't block any air vents.

9. Larry Hartke

Larry Hartke

Feb 27, 2010
    Hartke Systems
    Hey Indremafan,

Now that wasn't the right thing to do with your 3500, but I guess you know that now.

We've been making 3500's since 1991 so second hand and age are definitely factors. Some parts are not available for the older models so it's hard to tell you anything from this post. You can call my service manager Frank Cardello at 1-800-328-2882 (New York) and he will give you his best advice.

10. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    Bahahhahaa :D

I might sig that!

11. Indremafan

Indremafan

Jul 27, 2012
    Thanks for all the help guys, but i don't know how to solder. I do know a place that will take a look at it for $50, and that can go towards the repair cost. I also know a place i can get a used one for $269, so I'm at a loss for what would be the better option.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    If only you had a better idea of what it would cost to fix it. Personally, I'd draw the line at the $100-125 mark. But it sounds like he has to go in there and take a look for the problem, so it's possible that it'll be higher. I hate throwing out stuff that could be fixed, but you have to gauge repair costs vs replacement and the 3500 is inexpensive enough to where I'd be tempted just to replace it.

13. erokit

erokit

Mar 31, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Never hook up more than one amp to a speaker cab! You can damage the any/all amps. I would check another amp on that cab.