Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hartke 'shape' question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassteban, Oct 14, 2005.

1. Is there something that works like the Hartke shape knob(on the Kickback combos)? I've read a bit of the exsisting threads & have surmised that although the Attack pedal has the shape dealio, it has other baggage I'm not interested in- the EQ being active all the time, mostly, & I'm not after any distortion. The reason I ask is that I really like the shape function- particularly for DB- but I'd like to be able to plug that ability into any amp. Perhaps a parametric EQ of some sort... thoughts?

2. Racsen

Racsen

Dec 6, 2003
    Turkey
    Hartke Bass Attack pedal do that and I think it's very nice ...

3. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    HE just said that he doesn't want the Hartke Bass Attack. I can't think of any thing of the top of my head.

4. Racsen

Racsen

Dec 6, 2003
    Turkey
    Sorry i didnt see it but it does his job :)

5. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    The EQ on that sucka is always active? That's a bummer, I just ordered one and was hoping to use it as a stomp box, kind of like my Sansamp BDDI.

6. johnp352

johnp352 Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2005
    Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Rick Turner, GK, Malekko, Dredgetone, Pigtronix, Seymour Duncan
    but when you set it "flat"..it's supposed to be "out",,but it's not..nor is it true bypass.

As far as the shape thing..it's a notch filter..so a parametric with a tight "q" would do that trick. I don't think there's anything in the least bit special about it..except that it's one knob..with the Q width always the same..all you're sweeping are the freq's, which on the one hand makes it easier to use then a parametric, but on the other hand..a lot more limited as well.

I bought one to use as a cheap ($44 at music 123blowout..it came WITH an ac adapter and a bigass metal "disply" thing..neither of which I ordered..) it works as well as my bddi..a bit mo' finicky though..harder to adjust, but then again I have used the BDDI since Day One.

The weird thing is that lately i have also been using the Behringer bddi knockoff..and i am begining to like that one the best, tone wise..hard to explain why though..completely subjective. without getting into any "much more focused" wine tasting/bass player magazine bs..I think the Behr sounds the most like an svt..

7. I'm thinking a nice parametric EQ or preamp pedal w/one integral to it might do what I want. Of course if my new rig does what I want all the time, I won't *need* it. I'll use it(the new amp)tomorrow for the first time, so we'll see...