Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hartke speaker troubles

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tonynoriega, Sep 28, 2004.

1. tonynoriega

tonynoriega Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I have a Hartke 4x10xl cabinet and I've just had the 2nd speaker suffer seperation of the magnet from the frame (it makes a heck of a racket when the magnet is still attached but loose). The first one was completely off the frame.

Has anyone experienced the same problem? I bought the cabinet used and I guess it's possible the cabinet was dropped at some point but the seller swears it wasn't. I don't know if I should pursue the possibility of a replacement or repair from Hartke.

Tony Noriega, Tampa :bassist:

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The drivers are blown and fixing would probably exceed replacement cost. That sort of damage is caused by dropping the box 99.9% of the time.

Hartke will charge you at least twice the value of the drivers. Get Eminence replacements from Parts Express. Perhaps someone out there has the T/S values for your drivers to get a proper match; Hartke probably won't help you there.

3. tonynoriega

tonynoriega Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Thanks for the reply......when you say "the driver is blown," I'm not sure of your meaning. Are you indicating that, because the magnet is loose, there is another problem with it, or are you saying that it should be discarded just because of the magnet, and that it's not repairable?

Also, do you know if the Eminence speakers are an exact replacement, and will look just the same as the Hartke? Are you going by first hand experience?

Many thanks,

Tony

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    That's the problem with Hartke. You can't get replacements on a reasonable basis . . . reasonable being defined as not quickly, and not cheaply.

I don't think you can find a replacement, other than direct from Hartke, that will look the same. You might be able to find other aluminums, but they still won't look the same.

My opinion, either dump the cab, or get papercone replacement speakers with similar T/S parameters. Otherwise, its like dumping $1000 of repairs into a car worth only $500, especially if the remaining two speakers might fail in the near future because of the same stresses.