Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hartke Stack

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dilutedrealityg, Mar 24, 2002.

1. I was at the local music store and I was playing through a hartke stack. 350 watt head through, XL 4 x 10 cab, and a 1 x 15 XL cab. THe sound was great, I reallyu liked the punch I got from the rig. However 2 things plague me. The wattage rating on the 4 x 10 was 400 watts, and on the 1 x 15 it was 200. The rig had a lot of response and performed well, however the wattage I wasn't sure about if it would give me enough room. I was just wondering what you dudes thought of the hartke XL series cabs?

2. I'll tell you my problem with the Hartke's. They can't handle real "hot" basses. That is, basses that have real powerful electronics. This following story is true. I played an American Spector, so with an Aguilar OBP-1 onboard preamp, through a Hartke 7000 head, Hartke 8x10 XL and 1x15 XL cab. And the bass still made the rig fart. So that's what i have to say on this subject.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    That's why god gave us the volume knob. My Lakland is too hot to put into my SABDDI at full volume, so I back off the gain on the bass, and increase the Level of the SABDDI.

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I used to have the Guild/Hartke 410/115 set and ran it with with excellent results. I didn't run them with a Hartke head so I can't comment on that. IME they got louder than I needed, never broke up and did the job. So, if they were so nice why did I get rid of them? I got tired of dragging that much stuff around.

Will Lee still seems to be doing fine live with his rig.

5. Honestly will lee got me interested in the cabs, I never really gave them much thought or chance, then I seen an article, and said, ahhh why not, and I ended up really liking the sound from the cabs with the aluminium drivers.

6. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Before anyone buys a Hartke cab, I'd advise that they look in the back at the wiring. Very thin and not well secured (like some Radio Shack connecting posts). Also, the screws that hold the speakers into the cabinet wood are pretty thin too. Apt to come loose over time. The XLs have a better rap than the Transporters though. I actually like the tone I got from 2 XL 410s pushed by an SWR SM500S.

The HA3500 is a really great sounding head at low volumes. It doesn't have good circuitry to push a smooth tone at higher levels. If you play a 5 string it will really get spent. The 350 watts may be an exaggeration.

Good luck w/ your selection.

7. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Does Hartke make a pre-amp by any chance? The sounds good but I have found that the highest wattage amp they produce puts out 400 watts.

8. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I think the HA7000 puts out 350 watts per channel @4 ohms (700 watts).

9. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Per side only, you couldnt just put 700 watts into one cab is what I'm saying.

10. If 400 wats isnt enough and you can get a good price on and amp ( I got my HA-7000 new for $100) you could always buy a seperate poweramp.

11. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    How the hell did you score a new one for $100?! :confused:

12. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    I completely disagree with that one.. My ha3500's power rating seems a little short of what it really is. I let a bass player in a band I know use it, he was pushing a peavey 410(tvx or txf whichever has the tolex covering) and a Peavey BxBw115, they tune down to A and my amp wasnt above 1 and a half. They play Heavy Metal(not Nu metal) one of the guitar players has a Peavey Triple X head and peavey 4x12 and he was on like 5 or 6, the other guitar player has an older Randall 150 watt(thats what he said) head and a Randall 4x12 cab, and he was louder than the other guy, and their drummer is real loud, and My hartke pushed through perfect...on about 1 and a half. So IME, the 350 watts is an understatement. His head is a Peavey mark 8, and he had to have his volume up on 4...

13. I got it from a local music store on Black friday. They used to be a Hartke dealer about a year ago and they never sold this one. When they got in new products it got moved to the stock room and noboody realised it had. So i went in on black friday and a guy i kow works there and knew i was looking for an amp and said Hey look what we got. Said $100 and it is yours. I snagged it and then the next time i seen him he told me the tory behind it.

14. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Give you $200 for it right now (no joking either)!! Hell I'd give you $300 even (again no joke). You give the word and I'll send the money order or paypal, or whatever...

Quad

15. Nah sorry but i really love my tone with this amp. I think I am going to keep it. It was a great buy I know and i smile everytime I see what they sell for new :) .

16. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Thanks anyway. I had to try :D :)

17. Thanks for the replies everyone, im heading back up to the music store tomorrow to test out more cabs, I just wanna be sure I buy exactly what im looking for.

18. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I think Hartkes sound great, but Im very leary of them. Ive seen too many that we sold at Thoroughbred come back with blown drivers.