1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hartke Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Diowulf, Sep 10, 2004.

1. Diowulf

Diowulf Guest

Aug 4, 2004
    San Rafael CA
    I went to my music store today, and I saw Hartke strings on the shelf, and I dont ever remember seeing them before. I was wondering if anyone has ever played with these strings and what your opinion of them was.

2. bassvegas

bassvegas

Jul 6, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    I'm not a nickel fan ( I normally prefer steel) but these were lively with good tone and punch. They also lasted a fairly long time - for a guy with sweaty hands, I was impressed. If you don't subscribe to Bass Player Magazine, go pick up any of the last couple of issues and look for the free Hartke string offer. I sent in a coupon and got a set of my choice for the cost of postage! Good Luck!

3. Diowulf

Diowulf Guest

Aug 4, 2004
    San Rafael CA
    thanks for the info and the tip :) , I think I might do that today.

4. You might want to do a search on the topic. bassvegas likes them and that's great for him, but as I remember the overwhelming majority of posters who got samples through the promotion thought the strings were... "underwhelming", to be polite*... especially the low-B on the 5-string sets.

...and the "Free for postage" offer ended February 29th of this year. I believe they're cheaper then your average string on the shelf, but it's for a reason. :scowl:

(and not being polite? A good amount thought they weren't worth the $3 for s/h. That says something)

5. Diowulf

Diowulf Guest

Aug 4, 2004
    San Rafael CA
    Thanks for the help.

6. I got the free light 5 string set from the bass player offer, and the B string was horrible. It sounded like it was three months old right out of the box. The E-G strings were fine, nice and snappy, but the B was just crap. If you play four strings, then give them a try, but if you play a fiver, stay away from Hartke.