Hartke Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Diowulf, Sep 10, 2004.

1. Diowulf

Diowulf Guest

Aug 4, 2004
    San Rafael CA
    I went to my music store today, and I saw Hartke strings on the shelf, and I dont ever remember seeing them before. I was wondering if anyone has ever played with these strings and what your opinion of them was.
  2. bassvegas

Jul 6, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    I'm not a nickel fan ( I normally prefer steel) but these were lively with good tone and punch. They also lasted a fairly long time - for a guy with sweaty hands, I was impressed. If you don't subscribe to Bass Player Magazine, go pick up any of the last couple of issues and look for the free Hartke string offer. I sent in a coupon and got a set of my choice for the cost of postage! Good Luck!
  3. Diowulf

Diowulf Guest

Aug 4, 2004
    San Rafael CA
    thanks for the info and the tip :) , I think I might do that today.
  4. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    You might want to do a search on the topic. bassvegas likes them and that's great for him, but as I remember the overwhelming majority of posters who got samples through the promotion thought the strings were... "underwhelming", to be polite*... especially the low-B on the 5-string sets.

...and the "Free for postage" offer ended February 29th of this year. I believe they're cheaper then your average string on the shelf, but it's for a reason. :scowl:

(and not being polite? A good amount thought they weren't worth the $3 for s/h. That says something)
  5. Diowulf

Diowulf Guest

Aug 4, 2004
    San Rafael CA
    Thanks for the help.
  6. I got the free light 5 string set from the bass player offer, and the B string was horrible. It sounded like it was three months old right out of the box. The E-G strings were fine, nice and snappy, but the B was just crap. If you play four strings, then give them a try, but if you play a fiver, stay away from Hartke.