1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hartke Strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by JonahTheAmazing, Jul 25, 2012.

1. JonahTheAmazing

JonahTheAmazing

Dec 19, 2010
    I was surfing Samash and I found Hartke strings. I had never seen them before, but I noticed that they are priced very nicely at $10.99 for a 4 string Xlight, light, or medium set. That's pretty darn cheap, but are they any good? I had never heard of them, and don't recall TB talking much about them. Are they any good?

2. hotbass57

hotbass57

Nov 27, 2011
    Fairfield,Ohio
    They are a good practice string. But I would def. get a better string to play out.

3. invalidprotocol

invalidprotocol Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2008
    DFW
    They are import strings. I used them for a while and paid less than $20 for a 3 pack. I thought they were fine at the time and got the job done but I chose them on price alone. Nothing that I'd return to.

From there I moved on to Daddario XL's in 2 packs. They are a better value.

4. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Do they have different colored ball ends?

5. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    Larry sent me some free and then I began ordering them because they were so cheap. I agree D'Addario twin pack is a much better value.

6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Strings are pretty much all a matter of personal taste. Except for these. Nobody likes em. :) I bought a few sets a while back and remember them sounding as though they were dead right out of the pack. Who knows. Ya might like em. I think they're worth the gamble for $10 cuz if they wind up floating yer boat, you're going to be spending a lot less than those who have to have DRs on their basses.

I also disagree about them not being strings to play out. I'd much prefer playing a Stingray with a set of Harkes on it, than an SX with some $60 strings. The strings work just as well as any others. And I promise nobody will ever pick up your bass, play it, and say, "dude, these are hartke string on here. I can tell."