Hartke Transient Attack head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by yawnsie, Feb 7, 2002.

1. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    I've been looking at this head recently, and it looks pretty good - 350W, tube and solid state preamps, onboard compressor, and all for £350. I was just wondering if anyone else has played one of these, and if they have any comments to make about it.
  2. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    The older amp series is called 'Transient Attack', consisting of Hartke 2000 (200W), Hartke 3500 (350W), Hartke 5000 (2x250W) and Hartke 7000 (2x350W). The new model is the Hartke 4000 (you guess... 400W; completely new layout with 2 band fully parametric EQ instead of 10 band graphic EQ)

The 2000 is discontinued, the 3500 still available at a very decent price, don't know about 5000 and 7000.

We had a thread on the Hartke 3500 recently:

I had a Hartke 2000 for 8 years - good value for money, reliable, solidly built, but I the tone was too sterile for me and I also needed more power.

3. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    That's it, TRANSIENT attack!

Thanks Matthias, I've changed the name of the thread now.
  4. i have the hartke 3500 head right now

its a decent head for the money,

im running with a SUNN 2x15 Cab, its alright, though im having trouble obtaining the right tone i want....but thats prob. because my bass sucks, heheh, ( squier )...
  5. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Yawnsie, Ive played thru those quite a bit in the past, I find it to sound identical to my Hartke 2000, Has the same freq range on the eq, only difference is the power.

There not a bad head for the money, and produce a pretty decent tone. I think they lack in the midrange area a bit tho. The addition of a mid range control in the shelving would make it a bit better imo. And also imo and ime, the hartke heads have alot of high end freqency hiss.Too much, if you turn the treble control up in the shelving and then boost the eq you get lots of hiss. The compressor in the unit is also sub-par imo.

But as far as over all sound goes, they sound pretty good. Ive never had any problems with mine nor have I ever recieved a complaint about my tone.
  6. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    Thanks for the input, everyone. Cass, I thought the same thing when I tried it - there was a lot of hiss at the high end, and the compressor was awful. For the money though, I liked the tone, and I think it might be worth a punt.