1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hartke Transient Attack - NOISE

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Scrojay, May 30, 2012.

1. Scrojay

Scrojay

May 30, 2012
    I have a Hartke 3500 transient attack head. When I play low notes or loud notes of any kind, the speakers pop - fizz - crack. When I turn the pots - same story. New cabinet rated at 500 watts - 650 peak. Even when I play an acoustic guitar through the rig - same story. I have read about loose solder joints with this amp. anybody tell me if this is salvageable or even worth messing with. Loved the amp when it worked right.

2. If it's got a tube (12ax7), that may be your issue... Try replacing it or having someone see if they can test it somehow (not many tube testers left). Thats providing nothing else happened recently to damage the amp.

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    It does have a 12AX7. That would be my first stop. You can buy one and replace it for 15 bucks or less. Many cases of this kind of noise have been traced back to the tube or the tube contacts...it's an easy in and out procedure. Also check the effects loop, which can get dirty and noisy over time.

4. If it is the tube I would imagine you can set the tube pre to "0" and just use the SS pre to see if it still makes the noise without the tube section being used.

If it still makes noise I'm gonna say loose wire or bad solder joint.

I have had a 3500 for the past 18 years with NO issues ever. If you can figure out what is wrong it is worth trying to fix IMO.

5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    The tube is never out of the circuit, even when you're using the solid state 'side'. The amp really only has one preamp...

6. I had a bit of that with my 3500. A trip to the tech for a little soldering clean up and a new preamp tube made her allll better...