Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hartke Transporter 15" cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 12stringbassist, Dec 5, 2004.

1. Ho hum. I recently took one of these back to the shop forever, while it was still under warranty, as it died on me onstage twice with not a lot of use.

Hartke 3500 (350w) amp was driving that and a Hartke 2x10.
    The 2x10 gave out all the sound, making it hard to tell when the 15 had died.

Anybody else had bad experiences with these?

:bassist:

Offending item is at bottom right...

[​IMG]

2. FaBu-

FaBu-

Jan 16, 2004
    Finland
    Is this common with Hartke Trasporters? I've been considering buying one, so I'd like to know. :confused:

3. spidersbass

spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    the Hartke 3500 puts out 240watts at 8ohms, the Transporter 1x15 handles 140watts at 8ohms... problem is that you wanted more out of your cab than it can handle, not a good thing, and caused the cab to die on you. a good thing to do is buy a cab that hanles more power than the head puts out, for example my HA4000 puts out 300watts at 8ohms and my VX410 handles 400watts peak at 8ohms, works perfect... another thing i found is that Hartke makes their customers think their cabs can handle more than it really does. "PEAK # of watts" means it can only hold those number of watts for a SHORT period of time, always look at "RMS # of watts", which means the number of watts it can hold for a long period of time, what you would want. if it doesn't say RMS, then you should do more research on that cab, hell, even call the company itself, and if they tell you its the same thing, they're bull****tin' you.

edit: Hartke tells you "power handling", which is the same as "peak handling"... many companies make up names just to fool the customer, i've also seen "AVS handling" and "music power hanling", these are THE SAME as "peak handling"... once again, ALWAYS look at "RMS handling", its the only TRUE rating.

4. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

When I replace the cab with something else in a while (using my two Trace Elliots at the mo) I will get something that will take a real bashing.

Thanks very much indeed.

It looks like unless you intend to drive their 1 x 15 with a transistor radio, it will blow. What astonishing value for money!!

5. spidersbass

spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    yea, those aluminum driver cabs from Hartke cost a really shiny penny, and don't even give enough power. thats why i got the old school carboard driver cabs, nice sound with a lot of power, and cost much less.

6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Nonsense nonsense. Most cabs can easily htandle amps putting out double the rated power of the cab, because you rarely, unless running the amp on 10, put the amp's rated power into your cab. I put 1500 watts into one of my 4x10's which is rated for 700 watts, never a problem. There are several old threads discussing running abotu double the cab's rated power as a preferred matter of course.

I think the problem lies with the fact that hartke transporter series always have been, and always will be, far from robust in quality.

7. spidersbass

spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    but the rated power for his problem with the cab was MUCH less than the power for the head, and that was PEAK power at that, and it was very LOW power even (140watts), so even putting the power to 5 is too much for that transporter to handle. those other cabs your talking about were most likely rated RMS handling, which usually the PEAK handling is TWICE as much, and have HIGH power (1500watts). thats probably why those worked fine.

8. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Doesn't matter, that's all semantics. The Hartke transporter 1x15 is well rated for use with the 350 watt Hartke amp, unless forced into clipping the output stage. That 2x10 should have folded before the 1x15. I smell a quality control issue.

9. I'm watching this with some interest!

At the moment I am using my two Trace Elliot 715 combos - sometimes with the Hartke 3500 and the Hartke 2x10.

I was running the Hartke rig with the volume setting at 2 or 3 at the most. Both times it died was using Rickenbackers, not the hamer 12, btw.

All I could ever hear was the 2x10 when I used the Hartke rig. I was forever putting my leg against the bottom cab, to see if I could feel any vibration from it. It was comparatively inaudible. The 2x10 is great.

My next thing is what to replace it with in a while that will survive .... Some rather ballzy 4x10 that is set at about 300w seems like a good idea.

10. spidersbass

spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    is your 2x10 a transporter also?

if you like Hartke, you should give the VX series a try at the store, they treat me good

11. Yup, that's a transporter too.

I am thinking of getting a Peavey 4x10 or something. No rush, as I can use the Trace Elliots for now.