1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

HARTKE TRANSPORTER 4-10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by spiffer07, Apr 7, 2009.

1. spiffer07

spiffer07

Mar 12, 2007
    300 watts...5 yrs. old. From someone I trust.He wants 200.00-Thats too much isnt it?

2. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    Yes - they are only $250 new. Give 'em $150.

3. spiffer07

spiffer07

Mar 12, 2007
    oh... so they are.Thanks

4. neverdunn

neverdunn

Feb 11, 2009
    I've actually been seeing the XL's for $200 or less at times. Much better cabs.

5. lazyone2

lazyone2

Jul 27, 2006
    new jersey shore
    A 4.5XL would be better yet. Goes deeper and has more upper mids.

6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Just bear in mind the Transporter line is Hartke's lower level models. It won't handle much wattage so don't you dare try to push it. The cabs are thin and light though hence the 'Transporter' name. IMHO, offer $125-$150. You can find used XL's in the $200 range.

7. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    The Transporters were Hartke's attempt at making a cabinet to compete in the market of price against Peavey, Crate, Ampeg, Carvin, et. al. They used lighter, thinner wood for the cabinets and baffles, the speakers have smaller magnet assemblies, and the cabinets are not braced nearly as well as the regular XL series. The problem with them was that they were only about 20% less expensive than the XL series, but not nearly as good.

Upshot is that the Transporter series is less robust than the real XL. Compare them to the Peavey 4x10 and gauge the price accordingly.

jte

8. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    I've lugged around a transporter for 10 years now. They aren't a top end cabinet, but they are fine to play in bars and such. IMO, they were superior in tone when compared to other manufactures in the same price range for 4-10's.

If you can score one at $150, it's good value for the money.

9. Everyone I know who's had a Transporter cab has had speakers blow out on them, and they're not cheap to replace. The cones just tear. I had a Hartke 2x10" combo years back with Transporter speakers in it, and I blew out 3 speakers.

I say get a bit more brass together and get an XL - better sounding and much more reliable.