Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hartke users..Is your 3500 in a rack case?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Highpines, Feb 21, 2005.

1. I got a reply from a previous thread that said my Hartke 3500 is not made to go in a Pearson or any other carpeted rackmount...is this true?

2. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    You should have no problem putting that amp in a rack.

Some models have rack ears built into the faceplate, while others (like the one I had) have rack ears that you screw on.

3. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Whoever told you that you can't stick that head in a case is full of it. You might need to attach rack ears to certain ones, but that shouldn't be a problem. Rack it.

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I've had my 3500 in a SKB rack since I bought it in the early 90's. The newer models don't seem to come with the ears, but I believe they retro fit.

Hey, if you use the tube preamp as I do, you should also think of trying changing out the tube that came in the amp. The 12AX7 in mine was a cheap sovtek tube and I've used a variety of different ones for different tones. 12AX7's are cheap...for both NOS and new ones and you can get a bunch of other sounds from that amp.

5. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Have you really noticed that much variation when changing the tubes on this head? I've thought about doing a little experimenting with mine, but have never gotten around to it.

Any thoughts on which tubes produce which sounds in the 3500 preamp?

Oops this just went off topic..... :D

6. xpcapox

xpcapox

Nov 19, 2004
    mine is in acae,you have to screw off the rails,the corvers and feet,and install the hardware.

7. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I'm currently running a 'high gain' JJ tube from eurotubes that's pretty good. Before that I had a Ei in there which sounded more lively than the stock Sovtek. I've also tried a NOS RCA and an old sylvania which were a bit too smooth for me...buttery but no definition. I have also swapped in a Mullard, but it was a bit too mid-ish for my liking and will remain in my ol' VibroChamp.

Seriously, the top comes off that amp in less than 2 minutes, and 12AX7's are cheap...if'n yer an ebayer, you can usually find people selling mixed batches of 12AX7's cheap and you can try out a whole pile of them.

I never use the solid state part of that amp, and I've been getting compliments on my sound for years.

8. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I completely agree. I haven't turned that solid state knob on my 3500 up past 1 in years. Guess that is why I am curious about swapping out the tube in pre section. The thought had crossed my mind before but I have never gotten around to it. Sounds like it may be time to do some experimenting.

9. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Very off-topic, but I put a JJ 12AX7 on mine and it was night and day compared to the previous "cheapest Sovtek ever" that comes with the amp. I achieved glassy highs and real warmth with it (previously I wasn't using the tube preamp because I didn't like its sound). Try JJ, EHX, Svetlana or even if you happen to find one (very rare and expensive) a Telefunken. Also some Hitachi (as strange as it could sound) can do the trick. Anything is better than the cheap Sovtek they put at the factory.

ANDRUCA

10. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Regarding the rack thing I had mine un-racked for years and one day I bought a (rather heavy) carpeted wood box for $20 that fitted it perfectly and transformed it into a rackmount with some plastic corners, ruber feet, and made the front and back covers myself. Nice and cheap!

ANDRUCA

11. lowBbad

lowBbad

Feb 22, 2005
    Just dusted off my early 90's Hartke 3500......I have never really felt I 'found' my sound with this thing. I've read some of the other posts in regard to amps and sound being of personal taste rather than $=great sound. I agree but have wondered if I was simply getting what I paid for...@ $350 back then.

So, what are folks general opinions of these amps? What settings are folks getting their sound with? I believe I changed the tube years ago but don't know to what brand. Will check that out again.

I have often though of replacing it with an Eden but just can't seem to really justify the cost. I am playing the Hartke 3500 through an SWR 2x10 and an SWR Big Ben 1x18. Bass is an early 90's Kramer Spector NS-2C with active EMG P/J's.

12. Hey guy's ....Thanx for the imput on the rackmount I'll probably pick up a pearson...Also, I don't mind you going off topic here ( Not sure what "Ivan" thinks) but its great to not get bashed for using Hartke and the tube subject is great...I never would have known...Thanks...My current gear: Spector Performer..HA3500..215XL :)

13. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    ... just add a 4.5XL to your rig and you'll be in Heaven. I had the same rig until last december (sold the head an changed to a pre/power setup). Only bad thing is mismatched impedances betwen cabs. Your head ends up working in (4x8)/(4+8)=2.67 ohms (below the 4ohms minimum impedance of the head). If you don't use such extreme volumes your head won't be damaged. The 215 receives double the power than the 4.5 (anyway, this sounded good to me and this is how I used it for 2 years with no problems -I insist, I never pushed the head's master control too far-). Other option is to re-wire the 215XL in series (16ohms instead of 4) in which case your system would end up in (16*8)/(16+8)=5.33ohms. This falls within the impedance limits of the amp, but IMHO it is not not so desirable as you put double the power on the 4.5XL than on the 215XL and this (believe me 'cause I tried both) doesn't sound as nice as the first option. Good luck!

ANDRUCA

14. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Mine is racked. I had to take off the edge guards that came on it and put rack ears on instead, but it's in a rack now.

I like my Hartke 3500, a lot better than any Ampeg amp. I haven't tried a lot of SWR / Eden / Mesa amp heads, but I know my Hartke would beat out an Ampeg any day. I love that crunch the Hartke amp gives off. Plus I really like the Hartke EQ.

15. Yes, it is a great setup! I went from a kickback 15 (which I like alot) to the 3500 & 215 2 weeks ago and am still playing with my tone (so many options). my volume hasn't ben above 3 at practice yet. I also picked up the Hartke Bass Attack peddle and it makes this rig sound incredible! The 4.5 is down the road since all of this equipment was purchased in a 2 week period (ouch) Im kind of afraid of the ohm thing but I do trust your judjement.....thanx

16. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I also have a very early 90's 3500 head and it has been with me through several changes in my sound. I've found my head to be very versatile. Only gripe is that the high end can be hissy. Luckily that is easily rolled off, and there is still more high end there than I will ever need.

That being said, I haven't found the newer heads to sound the same as the older ones. I have found that I prefer the old 3500 Mosfet to the newer HA3500. Just my tastes.

17. Back to topic for a moment....My 3500 came with "rack ears?" in a package, Are these what I use to mount the amp? Do I remove the front corner guards to install the rack ears? and what are the rails for on the inside of the case then? .... O.K, back to tubs or whatever :)

18. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    The rack ears are what you use to mount the head inside the case. I don't know if you need to remove anything to put them on. The rails in the case are what you secure the rack ears to. I also think I was the one that said it's not rack mountable. I'm sorry I browsed through the specs when I saw that thread and didn't see the "rackmountable" on the specs page and since it doesn't have built in ears I figured it wasn't.

19. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    My setup looks like this...

-3500 - early 90's version of the amp
    -4x10 - Eminence 200W speakers (800w @ 8 Ohms)

I play in a Reggae band, so my amp set up is as follows:

SS pre - Off
    Tube pre - around 9 o'clock (a value of 2.5-3)
    Compression - off. That damn knob & light is useless.
    Main - between 11 and 2 o'clock depending on volume needed.

-------------
    For EQ, things are dependant on venue and bass. For my P-bass or Jazz basses, I have:

-Low Pass between 1 and 3 o'clock
    -High Pass at 9 o'clock (well attenuated)
    -The graphic eq is set in steps in 2's from the left at +9 down to -9 on the right hand side.
    -------------
    For my (now) main bass, a PRS

When active:
    -Graphic EQ - off
    Low Pass - set at 12 or 1 o'clock
    High Pass - still at 9 o'clock

Passive : Like the Fender settings, but with a bit less of the lows boosted, since the bass has silly, silly lows.

On all my basses, I run with the tone pulled all the way back, so no highs at all.

20. "Compression - off. That damn knob & light is useless."Quote"
    Thats my only!! complaint about this amp.......Hey, but turn it on till it clicks and it looks cool in the dark.....:) Other than that its a great amp and thanks for some info on the setting's you use , I'll play with them......but I also use a Hartke Bass Attack pedle and man does that put another piece of pitch on the fire............wooahhhh