Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hartke users... I've got a question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tom Dorau, May 3, 2002.

1. I'm thinking of buying a Hartke HA 3500. I just want to check if it's a reliable amp. Does it break down often? Does it make strange noises and things like that? (I ask these questions because I've heard that Hartke's are not well made...)
    Are you Hartke owners happy with your amps?
    After all, these amps are not expensive. If most owners say they are good too, then my problem is solved...

2. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I had a H-2000 for 8 years.
    It broke down once, but I guess it was my fault because I was using an instrument cable to hook up the speaker...
    No hissing or other noise issues, all the controls worked fine after 8 years.
    The fan is a bit noisy though (annoying only in quiet situations)
    I sold it because I needed more power.

Matthias

3. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    It depends why you need it. I used an HA3500 for a stage amp. It was OK. It sounded great in the practice room. Didn't have the balls to get me over the mix in a show even running a 210 and 115. It really farted out when pushed. I have a loud drummer and our music is very bass-prominent.

I still bring it as a back up.
    It ain't bad but it ain't a "pro" amp.

4. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    the hartke is awsome. way better thtn the fender i used to have.
    i have the 2000 it sounds great, i haven't had a problem yet just about 5 months now.
    why cant i use a intrsement cable to hook up my speaker?
    i am going to put a power amp through because i like the preamp so much

5. weeks82

weeks82

Oct 10, 2001
    Southern NH
    I've had a 3500 for about 4 years now. I've never had a problem with it. It didn't really cut it on stage though, like ZulaFunk said. I now just use it for practice. All things considered, I am impressed with the tone.

6. I no longer have my trusty old Hartke 3500 anymore as I sold it after getting my 7000, but I never found the 3500 under powered or unable to cut on stage under any circumstances, ...and my band is very loud.
    Used it for over 9 years on the road without a single problem.
    Maybe it has something to do with the cabs I used which were either a Mesa 1516BE or a pair of Hartke XL’s (410 & 115) but the power was definitely there with a good tone.
    My 7000 Hartke now gets used more than my Ashdown ABM500 and I am extremely fussy about my sound. (Not knocking the ABM BTW, but the Hartke is excellent)

7. Well, it seems to me that I shouldn't believe those stories about Hartke being not reliable...
    I intend to use the HA3500 with my Ampeg 2x10 + horn (mostly for modern sounds, for vintage sounds I'll use my V4b + 115E cab). If needed I can always use my 1x15 too.

8. Hi:
    Ive had the same 3500 since 92. Been thru tons of work. Great amp. I drive a 1X15 and 2 X10 hartke cabs w/ it and its plenty loud for my situations. I' ve not had a problem w/ it yet. I've been told (i brought it in to a repair shop to get it looked at throughly and have it cleaned in 98)it might be time to replace the tube w/ a new one, thats about it.
    One point of note about the amp the heads great except the compressor, IMO consider it not on the amp, keep it off. It does very little and when its engaged enuf to make a difference its squashes the sound big time. I find it easier to forget about it.
    frank

9. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I've had my Hartke 7000 since 1993 and have had no problems. I know some guys say the Hartke doesn't have the sound they want but I found that running it nearly flat it sounds great to me (and a lot of other players who've played/heard my rig love it). I was using Hartke XL cabs even before the head (previous amp was a GK 800RB) so I know the Hartke head deserves much of the credit. With both pre-amps set on 4 I have NEVER had to have the master higher than 3 so a 3500 would probably be plenty of power for most but the highest volume rock concert situation.

Note: My GK broke down 4 times in 5 years and a couple other guys I know had the same problems with their GKs.

10. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I've been using Hartke for a while,June will be 10 years(so there is no confusion,I use Ashdown as well)the first Hartke amp which I still own is the 3500.I've had only one problem and that was about three years of serious use.I've use it for funk,rock, metal, jazz, etc.one of the problems bassist may have with the Hartke Amps,is the fact that sometimes the tube has to be replaced.the amp is a hybrid(sterio/tube)I use the 3500's and 7000's,and Hartke 4.5 cabs.Im waiting on Hartke's soon to be released pre amp,and two new PowerAmps a 500 and a 1000watt model.one of the coolest aspects of the Hartke is they dont cost an arm and a leg,and from my usage they can last a quite a while .

11. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I've never replaced the tube in my 7000 :eek:

(But I probably should :D :p )

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I had one for about a year, then sold it to our sound man to move up to Eden. He's had it for over five years, and it's never had a problem. It's a good-sounding head, too. I'd say go ahead and get one.

13. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    woburn
    i love my 3500. it is small, not too heavy, and packs a punch. i use a hartke 3500 with an swr goliath jr. and it sounds great. i plan on getting a 112 soon, so i get the whole 350 watts.

14. craigers2

craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    Cleveland
    i've had my 3500 for 6 years now. i've used it a lot through the years and have never had a problem with it. :D