1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hartke vs. Ampeg

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Andrew 3.0, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Andrew 3.0

Andrew 3.0

Mar 22, 2006
    Indiana
    ok well what do you think I should do. I could eather go with a Hartke 5500 500watt Bass Head. It was 500 ways and a 9 band eq. Or I could go with the Ampeg B2RE head. It also has a 9 band eq but its 450 watts. They both run at 4 ohms. and the price in the two are almost the same. But I was just wondering what you think would sound the best.
    I like clean bass sound.
    I play in a metal band, but don't let that fool you I do a lot of highs. I also tune to C. So I need something that can really make your insides shake when I'm thumping.
    I am going to be playing through a Ampeg SVT810E. in 6 7 months but for the time being I'm playing through a Hartke 4.5 professinal cab stacked with a nother hartke 4 10 professional cab.

if you have anyother head sugestions for around a price of 600-700 dollars I would be happy to look in to them
    :hyper: -thank you-:hyper:

2. :meh: I've had a B2R(not the RE) so 350w @4ohm & Ive also played a SVT350 AH(basically a B2R in SVT classic clothes) 350w & it seemed to be seriously underpowered to run the svt810E it was running- see my other post "B2R to SVT3PRO" to get whole story- Haven't tried the B2RE but I reckon the extra wattage would help. The Hartke heads are good amps IMHO- seriously underrated-as "90's amps" etc BUT they don't have that lovely Ampeg tone- I liken it to many valve guitar amps & the Fender valve amps-- they don't have the TONE that the Fenders have! Its up to U, see if U can try both heads thru an 8x10" & see wot U think? That'd be my go! :bassist: Cheers & good luck, Rod.

3. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Totally different sounding heads. Hartke's are "cleaner" to my ear to the point that some people think of them as being bland. Ampeg's have a tone they are popular for, but if you don't like that sound you are kinda screwed.

Try them both with your cabs (at least the 4.5) and bass. Buy whatever sounds better to your ear. If I was willing to lug around that kinda weight (410 + 4.5 cabs), I'd be looking at a pre/power setup over a head.

4. playmybass

playmybass

Mar 28, 2004
    Tucson, Az
    Id go with the B2R. But what I would REALLY do is get a GK1001RB-II.

5. punkindrublic

punkindrublic

Dec 10, 2005
    I used to think that hartke and ampeg sounded the same... But that was before i had actually heard an ampeg in the privacy of my own practice space... You plug an ampeg in and play and you feel your insides shake! Its hard to describe, but its just so warm and smooth.... LIKE BUTTER.... The hartke's are nice, but kinda sterile and the quality is no match for ampegs... I have had many many friends who had problems with hartkes, and some who had problems with ampegs... The nice thing about the hartke's though is the tube... Thats a pretty nice little feature for a 600 amp... Just go to a guitar center and give em both a rumble...

6. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    I had a Hartke 3500 back about 6 years ago, played through a 410XL cab and a Carvin 1x15. I USED TO like the hartke...until my brother brought over a used Ampeg SVT200T that he bought on Ebay. The first note I hit using the ampeg dropped my jaw. I COULD NOT find that same tone with the Hartke after he left. I was truly disappointed. Since then, I have sold off the Hartke head and 4x10, and am looking into buying Ampeg...
    I have fiddled around with a B2RE head in the store using a Schechter 5-string, and it really did sound great!

7. jwaugh

jwaugh

Feb 26, 2006
    West Virginia
    I've been playing the B2RE thru a svt 410hlf. love the tone, but never got the volume I wanted from this combo .. play an american fender Jazz 5 string .. and just watching the limiter light flashing trying to keep up with a *fairly* loud drummer, singer, guitar.

so .. going with a svt 610hlf for more mids then the 410, more volume .. probably go to a B4 or svt II (money is an object...so most likely choose the B4 for now) to drive it.

btw, I had run the B1 against the 410hlf .. no joy. the B2 made quite a difference .. so I expect that having something at least 700 watts will really help hit the 'spot' of the cab.

just IMHO. relatively new to bass ... 40+ years on drums :)