Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hartke vs Behringer

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by anotherbassist, Oct 19, 2003.

1. hey
    i have $200 to spend ona head (spent the other money on my cab) and i was wondering which on to get

Hartke 1400 bass head (140 watts)
    Behringer Ultrabss Bx3000t (300 watts)
    ??????????????????????????
    by the way has anybody ever used one of these heads?

jason

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    hartke give pretty much guaranteed sound, but only 140watts which imo isnt enough

the behringer get bashed about here, but ive NEVER had any problems with mine, nor has anyone i know with one, and for the price, and competition, i would go soley for this higher watt option.

140 isnt enough to keep up with a drummer and guitarist (or 2) in a room much bigger that 10' by 10'. 300 watts is. period

3. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    toastedweed, Do you have the ultrabass head? Id really like to hear more about its tone etc..... If you have it please post a wee review either in this topic or another, im really really interested in buying this head

4. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    i dont... sorry but i have played one.

clear tone. sharp eq. good head room. for the price i couldnt complain. i went with an ashdown in the end tho. i prefer the ashdown tone. and its british made, and im british. that counts for alot

5. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    yeh i like the ashdowns too, them and trace, but, i dont have the money for em, and i need a new rig asap. So in your opinion youd go with the behringer? ill be playing through a laney r410 cab, what cabs did you play it through?

6. I don't care for Hartke amps myself but I would choose this over Behringer any day!

The Hartke is made better, look at the specks!

[​IMG]
    Treena

7. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Does anyone know who Behringer copied with the BX3000T? The VU meter and sub-harmonics processor look like they might have come from Ashdown.

8. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    imo, play what you like. play them both. i played both throu a hartke vx paper cone jobby. imo behringer sounded better with this cab than the hartke designed to go with it. the hartke maybe a bit better in some of the extreme low end frequence response, but when its 120 watt versus 300 watt... there is no real contest is there?

i mean, 120 watts doesnt cut it in a band. it just not loud enough, its a glorified wattage for a practice amp. he may as well buy the behringer that will let him play with other musicians at reasonable volume, and in the end finally decide what he wants from his amp in the long run - by playing with other people.

imo you cannot underestimate how much you learn playing with others. i think i learn more in 3 hours at my local jam every week than i do in my 2 hours practice every other day of the week.

if he has people to play with, the ONLY choice is the behringer. and sure, it may crap out within 5 years, but bet your bottoms dollar if he likes playing bass he will out grow it and be able to buy the quality head before this happens.

//rant over

9. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    yeah. they copied an ashdown MAG head (lovely ehad if your interested, not enuff noise tho!!)