Hartke vs Carvin vs Nemesis

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ThePaste, Feb 3, 2001.

1. I've heard all these cabinets are good. The Harkte has aluminum speakers or something which makes it sound punchier? That's pretty cool. I was looking for EITHER a 210 or a 410 with a tweeter.

Anyway, I'm going to get a Gallien Krueger 700RB (or an 800RB if I can find a cheaper used one). I'm playing punk, funk, and rock. Which cabinet is most dependable and loudest? And which one has best tone? I need one that can handle at least 400w for the GKs.

[Edited by ThePaste on 02-03-2001 at 09:33 AM]
  2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    The Nemesis 4x10 is probably the loudest, with a 103db sesitivity rating. Tone is subjective. I haven't owned any of the cabs you've listed, so I have no Idea about dependability.
    (I have been on the look-out for a used Nemesis 4x10 myself. A 62lb. 4x10 - My back will love me!)
  3. I think someone said Hartkes fall apart?
  4. Does anyone else have an opinion?
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I never had any problems with my Hartke stuff as long as I owned it, and the guy I sold it to hasn't either. Nemesis, while made by Eden, didn't impress me much ... sounded muddy. I'd probably buy Hartke before Nemesis. Carvin's OK.
  6. What kind of Hartke stuff do you have? If it's cabs, what kind of sonic difference do the aluminum speakers make?
  7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I had a combo with one 15 and one 5 in it, both aluminum cones. They have a nice bright sound when you put some treble in the EQ, and plenty of mid. It takes a little coaxing to get the bottom out, but it's there. I've also played through one of their aluminum 410's ... bright and punchy. Nice cab.
  8. My 5 string rig is all Hartke: 3500 head thru a 410XL and a 115 XL. I can't imagine how these cabinets could possibly fall apart, and the head has taken LOTS of abuse and still kicks...
    The 410's are very clear and punchy, and the 115 gives me the ooomph for the low B.
  9. Punchy= good :)

I guess it's good for slapping then?
  10. Oh wait, does the Hartke have a tweeter?

Also, I was looking at a Hartke 4.5 XL on music123.com, and it has

Sensitivity: 98 dB @ 1W/1m

How loud is that?

[Edited by ThePaste on 02-03-2001 at 07:49 PM]
  11. Another vote for the Hartke cabs here. Of the three choices you offer this is probly gonna be an easy one for current or former Hartke cab owners . Mine were very solid performers,sold them to a young guy who's into the heavy metal stuff and he's been abusing them for a year and a half now. Just steer clear of the Transporter series (if they even still make them ) anyway the XL's are a real solid efficient cab and probly priced about right too.
  12. Hey thanks, but after looking around, I see that only the 4.5 has a tweeter, not the regular 410. And since I play a sort of Primusy stuff, I thought I need a tweeter for the slapping.

13. I've got a Hartke 4.5 and a Hartke 410. I've had nothing but good luck with them. I started using them with a Hartke 3500 head but have gone to an Eden WT-600 and they sound even better.
  14. blong1

blong1 Supporting Member

Apr 10, 2000
    another vote for hartke! i haven't had my cabs long, but i love them. with my head, i've been able to get just about any sound out of them that i want. very clear and punchy sound. just my 2 cents.
  15. *Never thought he'd see the day a bass cab needed a tweeter.......sighs.....*
  16. I must be wrong then.
  17. Groove

Jan 13, 2001
    No offense but it sounds like you should go out to the stores and try some different combinations. If your already set on the head you want, why is that? Have you heard it through Hartke cabs? My advise is to go out and try some different settups and see what YOU like. For the record...if you do go with Hartke you probably aren't going to hear much difference with or without the tweeter. By the way, that's what the 4.5 means.( 4x10's with a 5" tweeter)
  18. I don't have a good music store around here, I've never heard any head except a Hartke 2000, which was ok. But to quiet.
  19. I recently traded in my Marshall 4x10 for a 2x10 cab at the Bass Centre in London. I was able to bring along my SR5 and SWR Bass 350 head to make the comparison as fair as possible. I tried Hartke, Ashdown, Mesa Boogie, SWR and Eden cabs. Through my bass/head the Hartkes sounded spikey and brittle with little depth or warmth IMO. I ended up shelling out for the Eden in the end. BUT the guys at the Bass Centre mentioned that the Hartkes sound much better through a Hartke (or possibly other) head.
  20. ndukane

Feb 10, 2001
    I own a Hartke combo amp(3500 head with 2 10's). It was a floor model that I bought in '96. I've had to ship it back to Hartke once because the head suddenly stopped working during a wedding gig. It took 4 weeks to get it back and problem was somebody installed an incorrect fuse! The head's been fine since. Shortly after, it started making a bright distorting sound when I played certain notes, especially when I went up the neck. I finally brought it to a local repair shop and they told me that both speakers were blown. He mentioned that aluminum cones can be prone to breakage because they're so stiff. He's charging $80 per speaker plus labor. I also own a Hartke 115XL cabinet which has been trouble free. Despite these two repairs, I still like Hartke and I would like to buy the Hartke 4.5 cabinet.