1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

HARTKE VS. GALLIEN KRUEGER

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by emo panda, Jun 2, 2011.

1. emo panda

emo panda

Jun 2, 2011
    Hello Everybody! :)

I'm new on this forum and i would like to ask you professionals about two amps. First is HARTKE HA3500 with 350W power on 4 ohms, the second amp is Gallien Grueger 700RB (first serial of this amps, without II at the end, just 700RB)... now i would like you to help me with this... which one is better to buy, because Hartke is about 100€ cheaper than Gallien but everybody says that Gallien is better quality and it's much more reliable than Hartke...

So... which one should i take (please don't write "Try both and decide" i just want to hear what your experience are and which of this two you recommend more)?

Gallien Krueger 700RB, Hartke Ha3500?

2. BillyIVbass

BillyIVbass

Sep 24, 2008
    PA
    Gear Reviews Guitar World Online
    Both are good heads. GK has sort of a signature growl with a top end I've never got into, Hartke is a very clean and a little more versatile amp.

Really I'd gig with either.

3. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    look at the hartke lh 500 better and I own one and love it. and cheaper Atleast in the us it is. 300$ shipped on amazon.

4. emo panda

emo panda

Jun 2, 2011
    I have two offers now...

1. Stinger 4x10, 400W at 4ohm bass box with Hartke HA3500 for 450€ (and the price will be reduced a little more probably)

2. Gallien Krueger GK 210RBS 2x10 200W at 8ohm with GALLIEN KRUEGER 700RB for about 550€

Which you would take?

Thanks a lot! :)

5. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    id go with with hartke and stinger although i have never heard of stinger. More handing power and its cheaper.

6. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I'd buy the GK. I like some Hartke gear, but I don't much like the 3500 head. To my ears, its very sterile and characterless.

7. emo panda

emo panda

Jun 2, 2011
    More opinions please...i would like to see at least ten opinions, because i really can't decide which one to take, i'm so confused :meh::rollno:

8. I'd definitely go with the GK. Bags more power (if I remember correctly) than the Hartke 3500.

I always found that Hartke's sounded good but quite thin sounding and quite underpowered.

That's just my opinion though. The best thing to do is to go try the same or similar models out with your bass and see which one you like best...if that's possible.

9. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    I definitely prefer GK. Much more character than Hartke.

10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Can you get the GK with the 4x10 cab?

11. brettson

brettson

Feb 25, 2009
    I would also definitely go GK. The Hartke 3500 is one of the least favorite bass amps I've played through.

12. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    GK > Hartke

13. milklounge

milklounge

Apr 17, 2007
    GK for sure!

14. benji1138

benji1138

Mar 1, 2011
    Amherst N.S
    Endorsing Artist: Greasy Groove Custom Parts
    I was planning on getting an rb700, tried one out, loved it.
    (exactly what I wanted an upgrade form my rb400)

Went back to the store to get it and it was gone.
    ended up grabbing a Traynor Dynabass 400h.

Would still grab the GK in a heartbeat, although the preamp tube in the Traynor gives some great tone, the gk is a bit punchier to my ears.

15. Billy K

Billy K

Nov 5, 2009
    North Bay Marin
    4 ohms ? cool

16. From the GK manual for the 700RB:
    380W power amp output for Full-Range operation
    only. They deliver 380 watts into 4 Ohms. Lower
    impedances should not be used
    . Each jack has a
    minimum of 8 Ohms each. Higher impedances such
    as 8 Ohms, 16 Ohms, or No Load are acceptable. No
    damage will result from operating the amplifier with
    the speakers disconnected.

Perhaps something to consider.

Also, 225w at 8ohm into 200w cab, shouldn't really be an issue unless you run wide open all the time ... maybe snag another 8ohm cab?

17. tdub0199

tdub0199

Mar 4, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga.
    GK!!!!!

18. kpc

kpc

Apr 6, 2011
    GK hands down :hyper:

19. Livewire

Livewire Yahtzeeee

Nov 13, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    GK...

I own the GK 700RBII head and play it through an Avatar 210 cabinet. Great, full, versatile head. I've played through the Hartke 3500 head numerous times at studios and even a couple weeks ago at a gig. The tone's just not there for me, it's boomy, characterless, no mojo. Sure it has a graphic EQ over the GK, but it still sounds too sterile and bland.

YMMV, and as with every piece of gear you buy, go to the store and try it out.

20. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    G-K...

- georgestrings