Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by the captain, Sep 20, 2002.

1. the captain

the captain

Aug 31, 2002
    does anyone have any experence with hartke gear? am looking at new equpt. was leaning toward gk 1001rb with 410rbh & 115rbh but hartke looks interesting. no one in my town carries it so will have to travel to find some to try out. of most intrest to me is the hartke 7000 or 5000 amp and the 4200 pro cabs or the 4.5 xl & 115bxl cabs. also the 1800 pro cab. all info will be helpful. thanks in advance.
  2. fcoda

Jan 23, 2002
    I also looked at the GK- Hartke and Ampeg - I opted for the Hartke 4000 amp and the 4200 pro cab. The cab has amazing bottom end for a 4X10 cab. It handles the low B very well.
  3. Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    I would take the GK.The 1001rb is a great head.
  4. OsQ

Jun 13, 2002
    I'm not a big fan of the heads that hartke makes but I really love my 4.5xl... it has it all.
  5. fcoda

Jan 23, 2002
    As far as the amp I could of went either way GK or the Hartke - IMO they where about the same. For me the Pro series cabs where just amazing. When I went in to buy the rig I was set to get the 4.5 and the 1X15 Hartke , that was until I a/b it with the 4200. It gave me the clear bottom end I wanted with the hassle of lugging the 1x15.
  6. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    I have the GK 1001RB and I am loving' life.
    The cabs on the other hand I have not heard good things about. They seem to have a reliability issue
  7. Get the Ampeg B4R. 1000 watts RMS, great price, totally configurable to any setup you could possibly want, bridgeable..etc etc...
  8. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    hartke heads sound good imo, the only thing i dont like about most of them is the high end hiss that comes with them, the compression on them stinks, and id like them to put a mid range shelving on them too for more control over the much needed mid range frequencies.
  9. Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    I've played the GK cabs and think they are great.They aren't as brittle sounding as the SWR cabs on the high end and no low mid bump like the Eden cabs.Very flat response IMHO.As far as reliability I would take GK over Hartke any day.
  10. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I owned RBS410 and 210 cabs for a while, as well as the RBS115 by GK. I agree with Canstandsya re: his Eden comparison: the GK's were definitely flatter. However, an SWR Goliath III is a far better cab with greater clarity than any of the ones under discussion in this thread. I would also opt for the SWR Big Ben 18 over any GK or Hartke 15.
  11. tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    As for cabs....I like the GKs (of course). The Hartke newer models are quite good as well. As for Hartke heads, I had a 3500 for some years. It was a first run of the amp and it had some problems. When it worked it sounded very full and rich. I sold it though, and the guy who bought it hasn't had one single problem with it since 1994! Use your ears to pick what's best for you. Always.
  12. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Why not split the difference?

The GK head driving a Hartke cabinet is a classic sound. I played a Jazz through a RB into a 410 Transporter for a while and it wasn't bad at all. It cut nicely and was pretty warm at moderately high volumes.

I didn't like the Hartke at lower volumes, though.

I haven't tried Hartke's amps, only their cabs. But if you only need them for club levels of volume and not for say recording they'll do just fine.

I think that is called damning with faint praise, or maybe praising with faint damns.
  13. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    From 1988 to 1993 I had a GK RB800 head. No problem with the tone, but the head had to be repaired 4 times in those 5 years.

I bought my Hartke 7000 in 93 (after the GK "crapped" on me for the 4th time) and have not had a single problem with it.
  14. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    For years and years, I used a GK 800RB head with Hartke cabs with no reliability problems whatsoever.

Then, I decided to "upgrade" to a much newer GK head and new Hartke cabs. I had reliability problems with both, unfortunately. The old saying, "they just don't make them like they used to . . ."

Ever peek inside a Hartke head? I have, and I didn't like what I saw for road use. Perfectly fine for keeping at home or the occassional jam or rehearsal, but if I was gigging heavily and having other people move my gear, no way I'd ever let a Hartke head out of my sight unless it was mounted inside a shock rack.

The GK heads are much, much more substantial in construction, IMO.
  15. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I play 6 nights a week, 2-4 hours a night, 48 weeks a year. I've taken this 1993 Hartke 7000 all over the US, Mexico, The Carribean, South America and The Philippines with no problems. I've openned it several times for occasional cleanings. The only construction aspect that bothered me was the plastic jacks. I openned the GK RB800 and didn't see anything that impressive.

PS. Several other players here locally that used the same type GK head around the same time I had mine had similar problems.
  16. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    I agree.
    What ever happened to "you get what you pay for"? It seems to be a total crap shoot now. You spend a couple of grand on something and hope it will work right when it counts. :confused: