1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hartke vs Nemisis vs Avatar 4x10s

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SnakeAnthony, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Can someone help me out, and give a basic description of each cabs sound? Which would have the most low end? Which is best constructed? Which is the best value? Any reviews would also be helpful. Thanks.

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I'm at work right now so I don't have time for a detailed answer. I have however reviewed the Nemisis 410 on TB before. I quich search should reveal it's whereabouts for you.

I've not tried the Avatar, but in a fight between the Aluminium cone Hartke's I've played through and the Nemisis 410, the Nemi wins hands down.

3. I can vouch for the Nemesis cab, haven't tried the others, I think the Avatar is bigger and heavier and I would assume put out better lows, but it might not be your sound.

4. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    Have not heard the avatar yet, but i would not hesitate to order one. im waiting on Dave to get back with me on which one will be my sound.

HOWEVER:

Hartke 410XL - Owned one for 2 years. Countless gigs, countless unimpressed nights (all except volume). Total lack of lows below 70 Hz in my opinion. This works well for me when you dont need a ton because the room was boomy, but in thin sounding rooms or outdoor gigs, i would be completly unhappy. The cabinet had no guts on those gigs. I would usualy hear the limit of the cones on outdoor gigs.

High end wise, without a tweeter, this cabinet definatly had a snarl to it, but no sizzle. The snarl sounds GREAT when it is used in conjunction with a 15" or 18", but due to the lack in lows from the cabinet itself, it was a no-go for me in stand alone.

I recently used the same cab at a church that i donated it to, and it was fine for the evening.. with my custom 15" cabinet below it (which used to be a hartke 115XL, but now houses a Delta 15LF).

Nemesis 410: Was not impressed enough to buy the cabinet, but i will mention a few things about it from playing through it. Authority in the mids, great top end sizzle without sounding harsh, not enough low end guts to make the sale.

I would have bought the cabinet due to price/weight, but it just didnt impress me enough to make the sale. I would take the nemesis hands down over the hartke any day.

and for the record, i am about to become an Avatar customer very very soon. My probable cabinet setup will be a Neo B410, and a Neo B210 for small gigs, and i will most likely get a B212 Delta LF version to pair with either cabinet, just because i love to shake the girls booties.

5. Thanks for your responses guys. Perhaps I should look into 2x12s? I know that they don't quite match 4x10s as far as output goes, but would they give me better performance on the low end? I will be slapping as much as I will be using my fingers, so I'm also going to need a nice top end sheen, perhaps a 2x12 with a tweeter? I'm still looking at those three companies based purely upon a price standpoint, as they are all reasonably priced. Which 2x12 from each company would perform best for my needs? Thanks again.

6. The Nemesis cabinets I played (briefly, with a Nemesis head) weren't so great as I expected. Pretty dark tone without any growl or something like that.

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    the hartke's have NO low end whatsoever.

sure, you can dial it in, but the hartke's i use at a local rehearsal hall seem to roll off the low end drastically on anything lower than a low E. my guitar player is always like, "why does your sound disappear?" :rollno:

i've heard great stuff about the avatars, tho.

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    for more low end, these days, speaker size doesnt really matter, unless you start looking at frequency specs. designers do amazing things for the most low end.

but, its my own experience that, IMHO, 10" speakers have the most punch and attack for slap. lots of guys like 12" speakers, but honestly, i have yet to find a 12" loaded only cab that'll please my finnicky wants.

but again, IMHO, no matter how you slice it, Hartke = crap.

9. As I see it, Avatar is winning this battle, and from the reviews I've read of it, I'll want the 4x10, as it is supposed to have better low end response. Joel, I would be very greatful if you could post a review upon reciving your Avatar.

I know that the head will likely be a Nemisis 320. It got good tone when I played through it, though the cab was some vintage Peavey....

10. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    If you want good low end in an Avatar Cab
    I can attest to the B115H with Eminence Kappa Pro LFA 15" speaker...Earth shaking lows. Very good speaker.

As far as the other Avatars the B410 NEO is a good bet as Avatar is using specially made for them ten inch NEO with a larger XMAX rating for longer cone travel.
    The B212 Delta Pro LF's seem to be pretty decent by accounts from other posts.

My opinion is to stay away from other 12 and 15" NEO's in if you want good low end.

Eminence does offer a Kappa Lite 3015 LF NEO 15" speaker that looks like it would work well in the B115H cab but I do not think Dave offers this at this time.