Hartke vs. SWR

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by aceofbass88, Jan 3, 2003.

1. aceofbass88

Jul 23, 2002
    I need a new amp incredibly badly, i am chosing a head/ Cab confinguration, i play hard rock/ funk metal and skaa (i know dramatic). I have a Schecter Elite 5 String and an Ibanez SR485, i was thinking maybe an SWR Workingman's 4004 head with a 4x10T Cab or a Hartke HA4000 with a Transporter 4x10 Cab. I am starting to lean toward the SWR but what do you guys think.
  2. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Personally, I'd go with the SWR. I don't like the sound of most Hartke amps.

However, what you really need to do is go to a store and play both of these setups, then see which you like best.

Nov 11, 2002
    Hey aceofbass I have the excact same setup, swr 4004 with 4x10 cab. I tried a swr 350x seeing if i could exchange but things did not work out, which in a way im glad, I think it sounds awesome, I have it in my room and yesterday I tested it out as to see how loud I could get it before the clip light came on, and I couldnt get over how loud the workingmans are. My trophys and picture frames fell off the mantle and wall when I was hitting the Low B, and I still could have gotten it louder, it was only maybe 75% turned up. I know people usually think they dont sound as good as other pro series but I'm new so it's ok for me. Now back to the swr 350x, I took my cab and amphead to a guys house who has a goliath 3 4x10 with the swr 350x, we compared, I played my amphead through his cab, and his amphead through my cab. The 350x has a little better tone, but my cab sounded no different than his, even though they say the 4x10 workingman's frequancy response is not as low as the goliath's, it sounded the same to me, I may not have an ear for it yet but I think I would have known, and I would closely listen and repeatedly hit the same strings over and over to make sure I was hearing it right.. so to me it was not a big difference at all in the pro series and my series, the only thing I liked better about the goliath and 350x is that the Goliath 34x10 can handle more wattage, and the 350x can go to 2ohms and has a little bit more of a warm tone, but nothing major at all.
    G-Luck though
  4. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Go SWR

Shiftgreen: I told you you'd like that 4004!