1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hartke Vs Warwick Vs Ashdown

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nofxrelig, Aug 16, 2007.

1. nofxrelig

nofxrelig

Aug 16, 2007
    Hey. im after some advice as im about to spend alot of money on a bass rig, upgrading my crappy ashton 150 watt combo.

the site im going to buy from is basscentre.com.au

my question is what do you guys think or know are the best heads and amps out of the ones in my price range here, (bit under 2 grand australian)

my first choice was going to be a Hartke HA5500 head with the Hartke XL410 cab - they said they could do this for 1730.
    http://www.basscentre.com.au/Text/1123555350890-9374/pC/1122957391234-8397/Bass-Amplifiers

my next choice was going to be ABM500 EVO II with AB410T cab - this for 2150 , maybe slighty outta my price range, worth going the extra step?
    http://www.basscentre.com.au/Text/1123548967328-0073/pC/1122957391234-8397/Bass-Amplifiers

another choice they have is a warwick profit 5.1 with a W411 cab at 1549

http://www.basscentre.com.au/Text/1125459652328-9372/pC/1122957391234-8397/Bass-Amplifiers

out of these 3 choices which do you think would be the best?
    can anyone suggest a different setup from their site?
    i noticed they have a mark bass little mark head for the same price as the hartke 5500 head, would this perhaps be the way to go, maybe with the hartke cab?
    i play in a punk band and alot of pedalling involved, ive read the hartke cab would be good for this

whats everyones opinion on the 4 heads ive just mentioned?

they have a GK backline 600 with a 410BLX for 1400 which is a great buy but i think im looking for a little more wattage then 300.

look foward to hearing some feedback

thanks.

2. I own a Warwick Protube IX and it has alot of grunt with more definition than a Mesa 400+ and an Ampeg SVT-4 (I think) not as much grunt but alot of definition. Never payed any of the the cheaper Warwick Heads but out of the 3 I would say the Ashdown followed by the Hartke

3. rockwarnick

rockwarnick

Jul 29, 2006
    Rockville, MD
    ive never seen 11s before. weird.

4. Take YOUR bass to the store to try out YOUR bass with the various combinations. A GK Backline 1000 sounded great at the local Guitar Center...actually, the new top of the line bass that Fender just came out with sounded like crap, but I picked up a Squire 4 string jazz copy with maple fb and it was quite awesome.

EVERYTHING matters - from the construction of your bass down to the speakers in the cab. The problem with recommendations is that everyone has their own sound in their head. You gotta do what's right for you.

Z

5. I wouldnt go for the Hartke, I would be split between the Ashdown and Warwick rigs. For the money and more punchy tone I would probably gone with the Warwick rig. If you want warm sounding rig like Ampeg etc. then u should considering the Ashdown rig too.

6. tbwilson

tbwilson

Dec 11, 2006
    concord NH area
    i kinda have a problem like this, i want to get the carvin BX600 head and put it on the avatar B212 Neodymium. the cab that you can get it in 4ohm or 8 ohm and the carvin runs 600 watts at 2 ohm, am i gonna be able to run 600 watts through the cab. plz i need the help tell me would you think of the setup if everything works.

7. nofxrelig

nofxrelig

Aug 16, 2007
    think i might go the GK 700RB II head with maybe the warwick cab if i can get a deal on that.

any thoughts on that head?

8. theyre 10s, theyre just called 411 coz they gotz a horn.

big wurds hurts ma brayn.

9. myhot4

myhot4

Jul 11, 2006
    Sydney Australia
    Out of the 3, I'd get the Ashdown.

10. animul

animul

Aug 17, 2007
    Metro-West Ma
    ok, At 2 ohms, you can run 600 watts through: 1 2ohm cab, 2 4ohm cabs, or 4 8 ohm cabs which would be ridiculous!! basically you just need to make your numbers match, (ohms from the head to ohm handling from the cabs?
    I run a head that puts out 500 watts at 4 ohms but i run it through an 8 ohm cab. This allows me to add another cab later, as long as it is 8 ohms. . .got all that?? good luck bud!

as for the 3 brand choices, STAY AWAY FROM HARTKE!! I know a guy who blew all 4 10's in one shot!! He was obviously pretty dumb but it really didn't take much fro them to go! Ashdown is ok But i definetly think you should just take YOUR bass to various stores and try as many different amp combinations as possible. It takes a while but it pays off in a HUGE way in the end!! consider SWR, Ampeg, Mesa Boogie, and Trace Elliot. they might be a bit more pricey but I hear nothing but good things and have had pretty good luck with all of them!
    -Joey-

11. I'm curious to know how it turned out, nofxrelig. I'm looking into purchasing a Warwick 411 and I'd love to know if you bought one and if so, how you like it.