Hartke VX-410... Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Techmonkey, Oct 26, 2005.

1. Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    I've seen a good deal on one in South Wales, going to try it out on the weekend... But should I be aiming at something a little more professional? I haven't started gigging in my own band with my own equipment yet, but will have started by Christmas, and my current amp won't cut it.
    I want a 4x10, something not too heavy (But it doesn't have to be far too light, as I'm still keeping my practice amp) and something punchy that can handle a low B at moderate (but not high) volumes. The head I'm getting is a Hartke 3500, and the cab I'm looking at is a VX410 - One of the paper cone lower model series. Is it worth trying out an aluminium cab model (Which I can't particularly afford) or any other brands? I'm restricted in what I can try out because of my location, but I can look!

The cab is going for £150 barely used - does it sound like a good deal? And will it hit a low B at moderate volume?
  2. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I wouldn't recommend any of the hartke cabinets other than the xl series. I think that there is an xl 115 for sale in the TB classifieds.
  3. basscase528

Oct 24, 2005
    London UK
    I just sold my Hartke vx-410 because I'm downsizing my rig. I bought it used for $150. The jacks on it were crap. One of them was stripped when I bought it so I had to have it replaced. Other than that it's not too bad. Its reasonably light compared to many other 4x10 cabs. The tone it gives from the paper-cone speakers is not at all punchy though, more of a deep woofy sound, but I like that. that might have been partly due to the head I was using (a Peavey T-Max). I thought that it wasn't bad for the money though.
    If you have more questions pm me.
  4. Vinpaul

Aug 24, 2005
    Melbourne, Aus
    I have a hartke 410 and 115, VX series. I aslo have the 3500 head. Id say if u play aggressively, these cabs are rubbish. The tweeters are too harsh and u cant turn em off. If ur playing a different style however they could be good value
  5. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    I didn't like the VX series when I tried them. If I was in your position, I'd look for some used Trace Elliot cabs, ok they're damned heavy relative to most cabs but they have a very good sound and are reliable.
  6. I would seriously have a look at at used Ashdown Mag range stuff.

Unbeatable value for money IMHO and lots available on eBay. ;)
  7. Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    Looks like I may well go with the Ashdown stuff... I was thinking about a Mag 2x10 cabinet? It would be lighter than a 4x10, and until I really need a 4x10 I could afford a better one. I know Trace stuff is brilliant - But too pricey, and far too heavy. It doesn't really sound like the VX cabs are for me, but I'll try them anyway!
    The 2.5XL cab looks awesome, but I can't afford one new, and there aren't any second hand going anywhere in the UK that I can find.
    How about a Peavey 4x10, as an afterthought? I've heard the TX or TVX serieses are quite good