1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hartke VX-410... Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Techmonkey, Oct 26, 2005.

1. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    I've seen a good deal on one in South Wales, going to try it out on the weekend... But should I be aiming at something a little more professional? I haven't started gigging in my own band with my own equipment yet, but will have started by Christmas, and my current amp won't cut it.
    I want a 4x10, something not too heavy (But it doesn't have to be far too light, as I'm still keeping my practice amp) and something punchy that can handle a low B at moderate (but not high) volumes. The head I'm getting is a Hartke 3500, and the cab I'm looking at is a VX410 - One of the paper cone lower model series. Is it worth trying out an aluminium cab model (Which I can't particularly afford) or any other brands? I'm restricted in what I can try out because of my location, but I can look!

The cab is going for £150 barely used - does it sound like a good deal? And will it hit a low B at moderate volume?

2. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I wouldn't recommend any of the hartke cabinets other than the xl series. I think that there is an xl 115 for sale in the TB classifieds.

3. basscase528

basscase528

Oct 24, 2005
    London UK
    I just sold my Hartke vx-410 because I'm downsizing my rig. I bought it used for $150. The jacks on it were crap. One of them was stripped when I bought it so I had to have it replaced. Other than that it's not too bad. Its reasonably light compared to many other 4x10 cabs. The tone it gives from the paper-cone speakers is not at all punchy though, more of a deep woofy sound, but I like that. that might have been partly due to the head I was using (a Peavey T-Max). I thought that it wasn't bad for the money though.
    If you have more questions pm me.

4. Vinpaul

Vinpaul

Aug 24, 2005
    Melbourne, Aus
    I have a hartke 410 and 115, VX series. I aslo have the 3500 head. Id say if u play aggressively, these cabs are rubbish. The tweeters are too harsh and u cant turn em off. If ur playing a different style however they could be good value

5. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    I didn't like the VX series when I tried them. If I was in your position, I'd look for some used Trace Elliot cabs, ok they're damned heavy relative to most cabs but they have a very good sound and are reliable.

6. I would seriously have a look at at used Ashdown Mag range stuff.

Unbeatable value for money IMHO and lots available on eBay. ;)

7. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    Looks like I may well go with the Ashdown stuff... I was thinking about a Mag 2x10 cabinet? It would be lighter than a 4x10, and until I really need a 4x10 I could afford a better one. I know Trace stuff is brilliant - But too pricey, and far too heavy. It doesn't really sound like the VX cabs are for me, but I'll try them anyway!
    The 2.5XL cab looks awesome, but I can't afford one new, and there aren't any second hand going anywhere in the UK that I can find.
    How about a Peavey 4x10, as an afterthought? I've heard the TX or TVX serieses are quite good