Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hartke VX115

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassist31588, Mar 23, 2003.

1. I brought my schecter 5 string to samash yesterday at noon and plugged a hartke 3500 up to a few cabs. (I will be recieving the 3500 in the mail soon, its a used deal from harmony central). First I told my salesperson that I was most likely going to purchase a 2x10 and add a 15. Samash didn't have any of the hartke 2x10's in stock, and what they did have was a used rattly peavey 2x10 and the SWR goliath. My funds are basically $300. So I plugged into a 4x10 hartke aluminum coned speakers to get the 'vibe' of what a 2x10 would be like, sweet response, I liked it. But no money for a 4x10. So my salesperson plugged the 15 up to that so i had two cabs running. **** thats a lot of power! I loved it. So I played a bit, unplugged the 4x10, and I was pretty impressed with the tone of the vx115. No speaker farting like I would have suspected from the hartke vx115. Their Fender Bassman 15 cab was a total mess. You couldnt play the A string without speaker farts.

The vx115 had great response with the low B. But when i plugged into the 2100 2x10 cab it was REALLY weak compared to the 4x10.

I just want to know if any of you have any bad experience with these vx115 cabs. I really liked the one I played, and I'd end up adding a 4x10 to it when i get a job (I still have to get rid of my combo or my trombone to be able to fund a purchase of a cab).

Samash didn't have the vx410s there yesterday and I was wondering if they would be a good thing to consider also? I doubt it though, the 15 is prolly my best bet and if I want a hartke 4x10 I should prolly expect to spend the extra dough on the aluminum coned speakers.

The tough part: waiting for my 3500 to arrive in the mail!

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    While the prices of the VX cabinets are attractive, I think they're low for a reason.

In a recent thread about the VX410, an owner of both the VX410 and an Avatar 410 said that the Avatar is a far better cabinet for only a few bux more.

Check out Avatar cabinets, the B115 or B115H, at www.avatarspeakers.com they're usually available on ebay if you search under dave@avatarspeakers.com as the seller. Dave uses 3/4 in. plywood to build the cabinets and uses high quality, high power Eminence cast frame speakers in his 1x15 cabinets.

3. how many times do I have to hear the Avatar rant and rave.

I simply don't feel comfortable buying something I havent played through. I like the VX115, I don't care, I've known about avatar for over a year and personally I'm sick of hearing about it. I haven't played through one yet and wouldn't be able to unless I purchase it, and even with his 14 day satisfaction guaranteed, Im still paying 80 bucks shipping back and forth so it aint worthwhile for me. People rant and rave about ampeg combos. I play through them and it's the biggest load of BS i've ever played through. Same goes with Peavey TNT's...

I'm just saying, check how long i've been registered at talk bass. ANyone who comes here frequently is awarae of Avatar Speakers.

Did I say avatar speakers suck? No, so don't start out a reply bitching to me, but I just feel like I come here and mention a cab and people are like, "Avatar this, Avatar that..." For god's sake, I get the point! I know, all I have is your guy's words, but would his b115h be actually be much more better in tone than the vx115? I liked that hartkes tone. I'm sure his cab is 20x better, and no I'm not even discarding Avatar as an option, but really, I didn't ask for an avatar review... I think alot of these reviews has to do with your biased views. An Avatar b115h cab may have a kick ass speaker in it that may be better than the hartke's, but it's only tuned down to 50hz. I can't find the ratings of the vx115, but I think it's something like 42. I remember seeing the rating for one of Hartkes aluminum 150 watt cones being that low.

Yes, avatar uses excellent speakers and charges less. But seriously, I can't make my own decisions if I'm only given online reviews. The response of the vx115 was the best Low B response at samash. I don't know if I'm willing to take the chance involved in an internet purchase.

I may sound a little harsh, you were only giving me a couple opinions and choices, but I've heard it before. I've heard it way too many times, and this seems ignorant on my part not to listen, but seriously. Anytime someone mentions something about a cab they get thrown the whole avatar infomercial.

I like plauying through stuff before buying it.

4. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    fair enough...

Visited my own Sam Ash today...they had some VX115 and VX410s...the 115 wasn't hooked up and my son was bugging me to go so I didn't try it out.

I'd played through the VX410 before and didn't think that it sounded very good..real dull even with EQ twiddling on the amp. Don't have a clue about the 115.

I do remember being in there around Christmas and hearing some serious low end coming from the wall of VX cabs that they had stacked up (like three high and six wide). The sales guy swore up and down that it was just a 4x10 but I'm not so sure.

FWIW the VX115 is rear ported...some people don't like that construction, I haven't formed an opinion...the Idaho based company who shall remain nameless now builds them with ports in the front.

Good luck with your search...

5. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    Mr. 31588-- If you are set on getting something that you can try out before buying, there's nothing wrong with that, really it's all you need to say.

It's cool that you are using your ears, a lot of people don't like the hartke VX cabs but if you get the sound you like that's really all that matters.

Remember that specs like frequency response/sensitivity/tuning/port directions really don't tell you much at all about whether a cab will sound or perform like you want it to. Keep using your ears.

6. didnt mean to 'bite you'. sorry bout that:).

Yeah, I'm skeptical about the vx410 responding the same way the aluminum coned ones did. I doubt I'd get the vx 4x10, but I'd really like to try it. The VX15 was amazing though, enough headroom but then again not as much as the 4x10 I used.

I'm pretty set on getting the vx115, and next year I'll have a job (im 15 by the way) so I could afford the better 4x10 cab if the 15 alone isn't cutting it, but my main style is jazz and funk and the 15 had great slap tone. I hope it cuts it as a standalone unit though, it should be enough, I've heard people using 200 watt fender combos and it sounded good. A 15 sounds better further out in the audience than it will on stage i suppose. I dunno, my first review was sort of on the 'review' side rather than asking for opinion side, although I did intend some opinions from some of you to come out, but I just didn't want people telling me to 'get this rather than that and that rather than matt'.

Yep, my ears rule, but then again, everything sounds good in the shop!

7. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Remember that Sam Ash gives you 15 days to try it out. If you take it home with you, you're not stuck with it right away if it doesn't do the trick in the real world.

At my local Sam Ash, they have them backed up against the wall which would certainly help the rear ported construction make bass. You'll have to hear it out in the open.

When I asked about VX410s a while back, it took a while for an owner to come out of the woodwork to comment on it.

Good luck!

8. the vx115 wasn't backed up into the wall like most of the amps are. It was kind in the open, but the fender bassman 15 was right in back of it, the 4x10 right on top.

9. Speaking of Hartke...

I am looking for a nice Cab and have about 650$

I was looking at the Hartke VX410. It seems pretty nice, and quite affordable for 300 Dollars. That would give me almost enough to buy a nice had, maybe a 220 W. Hows this cab , and any suggestions on Amp Heads i should get to go along with it?

10. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I'm sort of forbidden from mentioning another company's name in the this thread.:D I suggest that you do a search for VX410 and read the comments of an owner of both a VX410 and a similarly priced cabinet that is only available direct from the manufacturer.

11. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    To DriveThruEmoKid, the company Billy alluded to is Avatar if you haven't picked up on that ( www.avatarspeakers.com ) Their 4x10 would be an excellent choice, if you don't mind buying mail order.

12. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Ssssshhhhh ;) He knows who I'm referring to...read his response to my initial post.

BTW, Bassist31588 (belated happy birthday?) the Buffalo Grove, IL Sam Ash has a whole bunch of VX115s, would they do a store transfer for you?

13. Ok i followed hat Link to the Avatar cabs, and the B410 is pretty nice for about 380. Any Suggestions on what type of head i should get along with this cab?

14. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    This is the wrong thread for that...but above all else get a good used head...it would be a much better value.

15. Yeah, i should probably ask my salesperson who helped me out if he could get a VX410 in there somehow so I can try it out. I'd much rather prefer a 4x10, and later add a 15. The way I look at it is, you 'add' a 15, you don't 'add' a 4x10, all though the idea of linking two of those 15's up sounds sweet! I dunno, I said Im skeptical about the performance of the vx4x10 to compare with the response of the 15 with the low B. The aluminum cones in the 4x10 were a bit harsh with slap, but I'd be more than happy with the 4x10 alum.

If the vx4x10 doesn't distort, I think I'd like it. But I think the 15 is better with a low B for now. It has a tweeter.

16. I was looking at the Hartke 4000 Head to go along with the Avatar B410 Cab. Has anyone tried this amp head out i'd like to know if this combo will work well.

17. I think the 3500 would have more value to your tone. The 4000 doesnt have blendable solid state and tube preamp built in. Cheaper and most likely louder as the 4000 is only solid state. When both preamps are running in the 3500, it's twice as loud as any one going on at once. And the tone is amazing and easier worked with with the graphic EQ. I don't have experience with the 4000, but I'd take the 3500 over 4000 anyday. In fact, a guy shipped a 3500 to me just tonight. I should recieve it soon!:)

But the 4000 being a bad head? nah... I'd just prefer the 3500

18. but to answer your question, I think yes, that's not a bad rig at all;)

19. I have played the VX410 and the VX115, I was looking for a cab to replace my Carvin 410 that was a waste of my money. In my opinion, I prefered the Carvin cab to either of those cabs. I did move them away from the wall and had a H3500 hooked up to it and watched the salesman hook them up individually. To tell you the truth, in my opinion ofcourse, I think if you buy the VX and then get a chance to listen to an Avatar, your gonna kick yourself in the butt for not getting the Avatar. I know you don't want to hear it but thats my opinion. I sold my carvin and bought the Avatar.