1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hartke VX215 cabinet resonant buzz

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by markseb1, Apr 18, 2009.

1. markseb1

markseb1

Jul 11, 2007
    I have a Hartke VX215 cabinet that has a low frequency resonant buzz that is very loud at lower volume settings. It occurrs when I play a low A, B, C, and C# only. At first I thought it might be a speaker problem, but after removing the grill the problem went away, so it appears that it is a problem with the natural frequency of the grill. Has anyone else had this problem? All the grill screws/spacers are tight. Right now I have taken off the grill since I am just playing at home, but it just a matter of time before something damages the speakers. Otherwise I like the sound of the cabinet which suits my modded Epi EB-1 very well. I have a GK 800RB powering it, by the way.

2. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Hi markseb1.

Have you tried tucking some dense foam rubber behind the grill to dampen vibrations.

3. markseb1

markseb1

Jul 11, 2007
    Do you mean like a gasket between the cabinet frame and the grill? I'll give it a try. I have also thought about welding an X brace to the back side of the grill.

4. VisualShock

VisualShock

Feb 19, 2008
    North Wales
    A little off topic, but in a week's time when my sister get's the money i loaned her (she's a student...) I'll have enough to buy one!

What do you think of the tone? i like a little low mid boost, and some fat low end. Do you think it'd suit me? how do you rate it? is it worth the price? are there any drawbacks?(besides this one, which wont affect me:p)

Thanks in advance
    Mike

5. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    You may wish to try foam rubber first. It would be easier to implement and lighter.

You might melt the grill if you weld it.