Hartke VX3500 Combo Bass Amp ???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dean_CustomJazz, Mar 27, 2002.

1. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    I saw this on Music123.com It says its a Hartke 3500 mounted in the hartke VX410 cab. Does any one own this or has tried it? i am very very curious, I like the 3500 very much, I would like it even better in a combo.
    Does it put out 350 watts, or 240 watts?
    Can i add an extension cab if 240 watts?
    How does it sound?
  2. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    Unfortunately, no one seems to like those VX-series cabs.
  3. Richterscale

Mar 13, 2002
    The 3500 head will put out 350 @ 4ohms and 240 @ 8 ohms. When you use the 2 speaker outputs it is for (2) 8 ohm cabs which will make it run 350 watts divided by 2. 175 watts per speaker output.
    It will run 240 watts with (1) 8 ohm cab.
  4. philwill1

May 11, 2002
    Clinton, KY
    Man that looks nice, i wonder how it sounds, and can you get it with good grill on front. sweet
  5. Yeah, it does look awesome. But...how the heck does it sound? Anyone know?
  6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Oh, just one thing. Never EVER try to buy anything from Mucus123.
  7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Read 'em and weep.

Music123 Reviews
  8. So...does anyone have anything else to say?

9. Mitch Cojocariu

Mitch Cojocariu

Mar 20, 2003
    I have one. Just came out, not even on the Hartke web site yet. Here are some details:

Unlike the standard VX4x10 cab, this one runs at 4 ohms.

Unlike the standard 3500 head, this head only has one output labelled at 4 ohms as well, with a small cheapo connector cable (I replaced it with a monster cable immediately!) between the cab and the head.

As a result, the combo runs at 350 watts, 4 ohms with no opportunity to use an extension cab unless you pull the head out of the combo and use it with another cab.

I like the sound. It makes my Jazz bass warm and woody with a bit of an edge. The Aluminum speakers always sound so "tinny" NO PUN INTENDED, so the warmer paper cones were a welcome change for me.

As for the head, I've always enjoyed the sound the Harke has given me, but have never owned one up until now. I've used them before during gigs or practice sessions at studios and have enjoyed their sound.

Weight wise, it is HEAVY, and comes with permanently mounted casters. I can barely lift it, so a hand truck is going to be needed for the stairs.

The manual is a cut/paste job from their 2000/3500 head, and in some places they didn't replace all the text they needed to. No problem, because the head is pretty much self explanitory from a use standpoint.

I previously used an EDEN Metro combo, but the sound was a bit hi-fi for me. I range from alternative to progressive to classic rock and the tone just wasn't cutting it. I'll be putting it up for sale if anyone is interested.

As for price, get it at Sam Ash. They own SAMSON and HARTKE. IF you want the best price, go to WORLDMUSIC.COM, search for VX3500, and print out the web page. Then bring it Sam Ash and they will meet the price. Worldmusic.com has it for $649.99. A great price for a 350 watt combo amp.
  10. Thanks for the comments Mitch...anyone else?
  11. When I plugged a 3500 up to a vx115 cab it ruled... Could of used a little more volume, but I think the 15 is a great cab for the price. I honestly cant say much for the 4x10.... People say they are pretty damn weak, but that 15 had excellent response with a low B. If they had made that same combo using that 15" speaker i'd say its a damn good combo, but the paper cone smaller hartke speakers simply are weak with my experience. In fact Im going to be purchasing a vx115 cab as soom as i get 250 bucks. I have a 3500 arriving in the mail tommorow.

The vx115 had excellent tone and blew away those 350 dollar fender bassman 15" cabs.
  12. Mitch Cojocariu

Mitch Cojocariu

Mar 20, 2003
    bassist31588: BE CAREFUL!

Prior to getting the VX3500, I purchased the VX115 and Hartke 3500 head. Sounded great at home. I love a 15. I used it at one loud practice (Main and both preamps were at 5 on the 3500 head) and the cab started to smell like it was frying!!! Mind you, the Cab is rated at 300 watts at 8 ohms and the head is rated at 240 watts at 8 ohms so it SHOULDN'T HAVE BEEN A PROBLEM, but it was. I don't know if I had a bad cab, but in checking the VX115 (through the port in the back of the cabinet) I saw that the 1x15 is only rated at 75 watts. It accepts 300 watts based on how it is wired with the horn... I don't think it would have lasted more than 30 more minutes before the coil fried. :eek:

For the VX3500 combo, I too prefer a 15 to 10's, but the 1x15 was too dark and aluminum 10's were too bright. I found that I could get the punch & the deep response from the paper cones, Plus, since the VX3500 is rated at 350 watts not 240 (as it would had you purchased the 3500 head and vx115 or vx410 separately) that there's plenty of headroom. As a guy who doesn't like 10's, I think this combo amp sounds pretty good.

Best of luck regardless of your choice, but be careful! If you get the vx115 and smell something, TAKE IT BACK BEFORE it fries! ;)
  13. I have a question....does a low B sound good through the VX3500?
  14. Mitch Cojocariu

Mitch Cojocariu

Mar 20, 2003
    Not sure, I'm a 4 stringer....
  15. Well....do you ever use lower tunings? Like drop D?
  16. Mitch Cojocariu

Mitch Cojocariu

Mar 20, 2003
    Yes. It handles drop D ok. It is not as deep as a 15 but also not as muddy. The head holds it's own. The low contour needs to be rolled off, and you will need to use that and the graphic EQ to tweak as rolling off too much low end will make your B string sound good, but may make your E string sound thin. Ultimately, the sound quality is a subjective opinion. You may hate it or love it....My opinion is it handles it well. It moves enough air, and does it with good control over bite/depth and growl.
  17. Phaedrus

Nov 17, 2004
    Regarding a comment in this thread about not being able to use an extension cab with the VX3500:

I use a Peavey TNT150 150watt combo with 1 x 15" Black Widow. It's great - very wide tone range and plenty of power.

I would like to augment my rig with a 4 x 10 combo (combo for convenience & security), and have my eye on a VX3500, which I'd like to somehow use connected with the TNT150.

According to the Peavey handbook, it can be used bi-amped (can't remember if it mentions resistance (ohms)). My understanding of this is that a line out of the TNT150 goes into another amp/combo.

Is this feasable with the VX3500?
    Will the ohms that each separate combo runs at be affected by/have an effect on the link?

I'm using a Digitech BP200 pedal, which has a stereo output. Would another option be to send the left signal to one combo and the right signal to the other combo, leaving the two unconnected?

I know this is an old thread, and that there seems to be a generally negative vibe on this forum towards Hartke stuff, but hey, forums are for sharing info, eh?!