Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

hartke vx3500???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassbob03, Feb 2, 2005.

1. bassbob03

bassbob03

Jan 31, 2005
    im lookin for an amp i can use at small to medium gigs
    and i dont know much about amps
    i like the hartke vx3500 its a 4x10 and thats just about what im lookin for,
    i can only go for about 700 bucks
    is 350 watts and 78db very good its 699.99 and i need a second opinion

another question what exactly does a driver do (hope i dont sound ignorant but...) what is the diffrence between paper cone drivers and what ever other drivers are made out of??/

thanx

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    The amp portion of that combo is the infamous Hartke 3500..350 watts into 4 ohms, solid state and tube preamps, bass and treble contour controls, graphic eq and an onboard compressor. Hartke's been making them for a long time and they sound very good (to my ears).

The speaker cabinet part is a 4 ohm version of the Hartke VX410, their new budget line of bass cabinets with paper cone speakers.

Hartke is known for their Aluminum cone speakers which have a "unique" tone to them. You either love 'em or hate 'em...

The cone of a loudspeaker can be made from a number of different materials...paper is the most common. Other materials are aluminum, polyproplyene (plastic) and even titanium (allegedly).

The word "driver" is used for a number of things...when we use the word here, we're usually talking about the woofer part of our loudspeaker system. The loudspeaker is an electro-mechanical device that converts electrical energy from your amp's output to acoustic energy (aka sound) and heat.

Hope this helps...

3. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    If it is an option, Carvin has their "Cyclops" combo amp on sale for $699.00. This amp features a 600 watt power section, three eq stages, compression, noise gate, 1x15", 2x8" and a horn driver. I haven't heard the Hartke but I own a Cyclops and love its power, tone and versatility. Just a thought.

4. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    [​IMG]

and would still save 100 bucks. Much better than the Hartke.