hartke vx3500???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassbob03, Feb 2, 2005.

1. bassbob03

Jan 31, 2005
    im lookin for an amp i can use at small to medium gigs
    and i dont know much about amps
    i like the hartke vx3500 its a 4x10 and thats just about what im lookin for,
    i can only go for about 700 bucks
    is 350 watts and 78db very good its 699.99 and i need a second opinion

another question what exactly does a driver do (hope i dont sound ignorant but...) what is the diffrence between paper cone drivers and what ever other drivers are made out of??/

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The amp portion of that combo is the infamous Hartke 3500..350 watts into 4 ohms, solid state and tube preamps, bass and treble contour controls, graphic eq and an onboard compressor. Hartke's been making them for a long time and they sound very good (to my ears).

The speaker cabinet part is a 4 ohm version of the Hartke VX410, their new budget line of bass cabinets with paper cone speakers.

Hartke is known for their Aluminum cone speakers which have a "unique" tone to them. You either love 'em or hate 'em...

The cone of a loudspeaker can be made from a number of different materials...paper is the most common. Other materials are aluminum, polyproplyene (plastic) and even titanium (allegedly).

The word "driver" is used for a number of things...when we use the word here, we're usually talking about the woofer part of our loudspeaker system. The loudspeaker is an electro-mechanical device that converts electrical energy from your amp's output to acoustic energy (aka sound) and heat.

Hope this helps...
  3. bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    If it is an option, Carvin has their "Cyclops" combo amp on sale for $699.00. This amp features a 600 watt power section, three eq stages, compression, noise gate, 1x15", 2x8" and a horn driver. I haven't heard the Hartke but I own a Cyclops and love its power, tone and versatility. Just a thought.
  4. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD

and would still save 100 bucks. Much better than the Hartke.