Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hartke VX410 lacks projection. Changing speakers help?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Soulbanana, Nov 21, 2004.

1. Soulbanana

Soulbanana

May 7, 2004
    Singapore
    I am using a VX410 now that sounds great if you're just in front of the cab, and it's facing you. Really warm and punchy. Problem is, once you get off the central axis, or if you move farther away from the cab, it starts to sound really boxy and natty.

I've had the best perceived tone when it's been mounted on another speaker cab (unpowered). Even when it's mounted on an X-stand and tilted upwards, it lacks projection and bottom end.

I should just carry on with the extra cab on the bottom, but I don't want to lug too much stuff around. Will changing the speakers in the cab help? I've been hearing lot's of things about the Avatars, but being in Australia, we can't get good gear without paying an arm and a leg.

Regards

2. when you say it isn't projecting, you mean nobody can hear you in the audience or that you can't hear it on stage? Are you playing inside or outside? Where do you keep the the cab? Are you simply being drowned out by guitars?

You have somebody in perth build you this:

http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/

3. I agree about the projection problem, but I've never had a problem with low end. In fact I had a gig the other day in the basement of house where I was shaking the roof tiles out. When we were done with out set, there was all the white dust all over my amp from shaking the ceiling, also some of the tiles were off center.

4. Anyone tried this stuff. I'm a do ityourself (cheap) kind of guy and they make some mighty big claims. I would be willing to drop a bill on a car tuba if this thing would go lower or hit deeper than my Hartke 115XL

5. Soulbanana

Soulbanana

May 7, 2004
    Singapore
    What I'm intending to say when I mean projection problems is that the cab sounds great when you're right in front of it, but if it's put on the floor (even tilting up) or you go off centre, all you get is a nasal honk with indistinct bass. I haven't even had the nerve to theorise what the audience is hearing.

I was really considering getting a pair of Avatar 1x12's through one of the exchange students here who lives in Madison but I have no idea what they sound like.

6. Well you just described the hartke sound which heaps of people love. You should build a 250a and tuba 24 rig. The avatars suppsedly are great. These mail order deals use the same driver elements. It is just a question of enclosure design and crossover engineering. I would go for the avatars. Hartke is named branb so you should have no ploblems selling that cab.

7. Soulbanana

Soulbanana

May 7, 2004
    Singapore
    I'll definitely check out the feasibility of building one of those DR250a arrays. I'd love to try Avatar but I'm in Australia and they don't ship internationally. I might get a friend in Madison to ship them to me, but that would probably bump the $$$ spent up a fair bit, and I still won't know what they sound like till I get them. :meh:

8. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    You're off-axis response sucks because you've got drivers mounted side by side and one above another, and that narrows midrange dispersion severely. Your can cure that on the vertical plane by simply lifting the cab to ear level, as you've discovered on your own, but there's nothing you can do about it on the horizontal. A properly engineered 4x10 would have the four tens vertically aligned to address both horizontal and vertical dispersion issues, but neither Harkte nor anyone else is likely to market something like that because it wouldn't 'look right' and therefore wouldn't sell.

9. yes. that's called a line array.