Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hartke VX410 + VX115 vs. Peavey 410TVX + 115BXBW

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PanteraFan, Sep 2, 2003.

1. I'm looking at a new rig, and I was going to go for the Hartke HA5000 + Peavey 410TVX + 115BXBW(you may have seen my earlier post) however, Bass Centre Manchester gets good deals on Hartke gear(VERY good) and they can get me the heads cheap. However, they do not carry Peavey cabs and if they could special order them they wouldn't be as cheap as another store. They do have a Hartke VX410 and a VX115 in though, for a decent price(cheaper than the Peavey stuff in another large chain store). If I was to buy these cabs, the money I save and the store discount would mean I could get the HA7000 instead of the 5000. So basically, it boils down to this:

Harke HA5000 + 410TVX + 115BXBW = 500W amp maxed

or

Hartke HA7000 + VX410 + VX115 = 480W, up to 700W if I add another two 8 Ohm cabs or get two 4 ohm cabs

I've heard that the VX cabs aren't that good, and I don;t like the aluminium drivers in the other Hartke stuf(extensive playtesting). Any reason why I shouldn't get the VX's over the Peaveys?

Cheers,

PF

2. IMO, what you heard is true, the VX sound pretty bad. Personally, I do like the aluminum cones of the hartke xl series.

The sound should already be a pretty good reaon, and i don't see any improvement in getting a HA7000 (since you'd need more speakers to use the extra power anyways)

3. I have the Peavey 410TVX. I like the sound of it, very low and deep. It's a very sturdy cabinet, heavy as hell also.

I also played a Hartke cabinet (it was a transporter) and the sound was okay, but the Peavey sounds warmer to my ears. Hartke cabinets always look like they can break apart when you would drop them (except them XL series). But the Peaveys look very very hard to break.

4. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    I beg to differ about the vx's, i like them. i don't like the transporter tho'. and i think since peavey is under rated it is actually over rated.

the vx's are good for the price...might want to try avatar tho.

steve

5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    If you ever take a Peavey cab apart, and take a Hartke cab apart, you'll see an incredible difference in build quality. The Peavey's are first rate, and the Hartke's are shockingly poorly put together, even the XL series (which I used to own).

6. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    There is no evidence of poor build quality in this cab at all...what kind of poor build quality are you talking about?
    do you own this vx cab?

ok then thank you

steve

7. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    The peaveys definetey sound better. Hartke just doesn't have any appealing tone. My friend has a Peavey 410TVX he is selling. Let me know ifyou'd be interested and I'd hook you up.

~Patrick

8. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    OK, you're welcome. ;)

The screws that anchor the speakers are simple wood screws that are drilled directly into the wood, without T-nuts or any kind of backing whatsoever. With all three of my similar previous Hartke XL-series cabs, there were at least two or more such screws which were driven in crooked, splintered the wood, and were constantly loose. Internal joints were sloppily glued and uneven, not at all sturdy. I recently peeked into a neighbor's VX cab, and it was the same except I saw FOUR uneven wood screws in that one cab (one screw could actually be removed by hand without a screwdriver), cheap stamped baskets and small magnets. Internal bracing was minimal, and the structural integrity of that cab is not equal to that of Hartke's XL series - I'd hate to see what would happen if one were dropped out of a truck.

Take a Peavey cab apart, and it is built like a tank (and unfortunately, heavy as a result). All speaker screws are machined and slot into heavy T-nuts with wide backing. The speakers are anchored to the cab with no chance for loosening or rattle. The bracing is heavy, and the joints are solid.

Sound-wise, opinions and tastes vary, but I thought the Hartke VX sounded like crap, was very inefficient, lacked clarity, and didn't handle the low B string too well. They are Hartke's answer to the student-value market and price-point. If you really like the Hartke tone, forget the VX and Transporter series, and go for the XL . . .

Personally, I use Aguilar cabs, which are built very, very well.

9. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i like the aggie cabs as well..

my vx doesn't have any of those problems. and wood screws weren't used to hold in the speakers..it isn't my favorite cab..but i like it alot better than the swr stuff

steve

10. Mattski

Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    I know you're asking about two specific brands, but I want to chime in for Avatars. Sound Great, cost less and did I mention sound great? The 212 is 70 lbs and makes a great stand alone. I paired it with a 210 and am very pleased

But back to your question. I am a big fan of Peaveys. As has been mentioned, built like tanks. They can also take sonic abuse very well. I just sold a 810 TX and I highly recommend that cabinet if you can find one. I have never been impressed with Hartkes (no offense hartke users).

11. Well I'm trying to increase portability and versatility, so an 8x10 isn't the right tool I think!

I'm moving up in the world. I'll be running into a little extra cash and I won't even have to look at the VX cabs. I was very impressed with the HA5000 into 410XL + 115BXL setup I tried, and I'm gonn try for that, but I can only afford one of the XL cabs. I can either get a 410XL + 115TP, 410TP + 115BXL, or the two Transporter cabs and have a little cash left over. I'm shying away from this though, as I'll eventually either get a full XL setup or trade my cabs in, and an XL cab will keep its resale better. Idealy I'd like to mix and match.

The 410TP handles 300W @ 8 Ohms, the 410XL takes 400W @ 8 Ohms. The 115TP takes 150W @ 8 Ohms and the 115BXL takes 200W @ 8 Ohms.

My question to you is: Which is weaker, the 410TP or 115TP, and which would best complement the other's equivalent XL cab?

Thanks once again,

PF