Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hartke VX410?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stingraymund, Feb 6, 2004.

1. I was in the market for an SWR Working Man's 210, and found one at SamAsh for $399, and was all set to buy it until I stumbled on a Hartke VX410 for a hundred bucks lower...
    I've always wanted SWR but I can't beat that value, so I bought the Hartke.

It seems good. The SWR seems to color the sound a lot (but I seem to dig it) but the Hartke seems beefy enough. I've avoided Hartke cabs in the past like the plague but now that they make paper cone speakers like the rest of the civilized world, I gave em a second chance.

Anyone own the VX410? Any comments?

2. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    Isn't the whole point of Hartke the aluminum cones? :confused:

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    The hartke VX series are pretty unremarkable cabinets. Not bad, but not particularly good. Definitely not worth the asking price, IMO. Build quality is slightly below average, the drivers are nothing to write home about. Sound is not bad, but nothing special. You can definitely do much better for the same price.

4. Like....?

5. Bleah. Nasty, awful tone. Impossible to repair/replace, too.
    Aluminum is for cans, airplane fuselages and wrapping your leftover dinner. NOT for bass speakers.

6. :spit: Hold up hoss, don't be beating up Hartkes. I use a Hartke combo after realizing that the PA did just fine (plus my Ampeg 8x10 was heavy as crap!) without my bass cabs. I love the Kickback 12. If you go with Hartke, you must get to learn aluminum cones. They are a lot brighter than paper and don't boom as much. Once you understand their basic principles - rock out with it. :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

Keep thumpin'

7. IMO hartke VX cabs are definately no good, they can't handle anything, i got suckered into buying them because of my budget, and i blew the speakers, so i ended up replacing the speakers with eminence speakers, they don't sound so bad now, but i prefer the aluminum cones in the 4.5xl i just bought

8. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    One example, any Avatar will smoke the Hartke VX series, for less money . . .