1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hartke VX410

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DWBass, Apr 13, 2009.

1. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I saw an ad on Craigslist that a guy was selling a 2 month old VX410 (paper cones) cab for $175. Literally brand new and never gigged. Only sat in the guys house and used for practicing at low volume. On a whim, I went and bought it. Brought it home but was not quite happy with the sound. It has a rear port and no control for the tweeter (not a big deal). Handles 400w and is 8ohms. I'm going to try it out on a gig first before I decide to sell (or trade) it. It seems well built and weighs about 70lbs. First cab I ever had with a rear port.

Anyone here have any experience with this cab? Thoughts?

2. b0b4f377

b0b4f377

Feb 3, 2008
    Morristown, TN
    I have one that came with a Hartke 3500 amp as a combo rig. It's a cheap cab, new ones can be found for about $240. It's not a bad cab, but I am looking for something different and better now. I've used mine for 2 years, and it takes some tweaking with your amp to not make the cab sound muddy or warbly. You could do worse, especially for the price; it's just not a plug in and sound awesome cab, it needs some TLC first.

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I hear you. Funny, I hooked up my Hartke 5500 (330w@8ohms)to it and it sucked! I then hooked my Fender Bassman 400 (200w?@8ohms) to it and it sounded a lot better. I think it's one of those cabs that work better at lower wattage. I didn't find it muddy at all. Quite the opposite. Sorta thin sounding but of course that was in my spare room and not a sound stage. Like I said, I'll try it out on a gig but I have a feeling I'll be selling or trading.

4. i too have the combo, and it flaps around something fierce with too much low end. and i keep my low end relatively low

5. DanRJBrasil

DanRJBrasil

Jun 10, 2007
    I 've tried with the hartke 3500 and a gk head , it sucks big time!

6. b0b4f377

b0b4f377

Feb 3, 2008
    Morristown, TN
    Yeah, it does sound all right at 8 ohm/250w. And I've found that it sounds better with a tube or tube emulating amp. Pretty crappy with solid state.

7. BAW

BAW

Aug 1, 2008
    Long Island
    the vx410 is my main cab. its nothing spectacular but it gets the job is done on a budget. originally used it with a hartke ha2500. i currently run it with an LH500 and it sounds much better.

of course i have never spent much time with higher end cabs so my ears might be used to the budget cabs.

8. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    I use it in my church rig - works very well at lower volumes. :) I tried it on a wedding reception at medium levels and it cut through quite nice. :) Used it on on a Rock gig... NO JOY! :meh:

9. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I'll probably end up selling or trading it locally! I figured I'd try it out especially since it's pretty new. Oh well!

10. BAW

BAW

Aug 1, 2008
    Long Island
    i would like to add to this thread that you can get pretty good tones out of it when mic'd.

11. I have the VX410 and was never really impressed, with the lows being too boomy and undefined... until I experimented with the bass port at the rear. I bought a 110mm plastic bung off ebay for 3 quid (which fits snugly but can be removed if required) and it transformed it into a tight punchy cab but still with plenty of useful pleasing bottom end. It reminded me of my old school days with a 4x12 cab before bass ports were ever thought of for bass cabs :) On my HA3500 head I keep valve and SS preamps equal, whack the bass control to max and treble to about 3 quarters, leave the EQ off and the sound for me is just what I've been searching for since I foolishly sold my Vox AC50 and eminence-loaded 4x12 thirty years ago...