Hartke vxl bass attack preamp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Son of Bovril, May 19, 2005.

1. I guess no one else has tried one then?
  2. -but I'm curious too; I have a Kickback 12, & the shape function works great w/my upright. If it works as well on the pedal, I may add it to my arsenal.
  3. The Hartke pedal has been mentioned by a few TBers in a number of threads.

Search? ;)
  4. Bass Player reviewed it, I believe. Could probably google that.

I, too, am wondering if the pigeonhole police will admonish you for not posting in the "effects" forum.

It seems that this is more of a preamp than an effect.
  5. Regarding this Hartke preamp I have one big issue with it for live gigging: it doesn't have a separate gain/volume adjustment for the two pedal stages. Both pedals seem to boost the output, and with both of them on, the signal is considerably hotter (too hot in my opinion) in comparison to the signal with both of them off...

this is a problem as the output volume affects both the direct and "fx" signals. Does anyone have any advice or know how to adjust this so that I can use the pedals in a live situation? I really like the tone I can get from the pedals, but the volume difference is just too big...
  6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I checked one out in a local store. That is a HUGE design flaw, makes the thing totally useless for live semi-professional use. There's no way around it.

It can be used in the bedroom no problem, but if you're playing live with a band, there's no way to correct those huge volume differences on the fly.
  7. yeah, it has good tone, but its a matter of having them on or off, which basically renders the footswitches useless!

Hartke I hope you are reading this...