Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hartke VXL Volume/Bypass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by chaosMK, Oct 23, 2005.

1. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I just got a VXL. Seems like an alright pedal. Simlar to the Sansamp but a little brighter in general. Shape function is decent, kind of like how half the controls on a Mesa/Boogie amp work with that pull business.

When in my effects chain this pedal screws up my volume and makes the signal way lower. I practically feel like I am better off without it. Anyone know how to get around this or what is causing it?

2. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
  3. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    I have the level set comfortably. Trouble is when it is off, it is affecting the rest of the stuff in my chain after it.

4. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Yep, thats the Hartke's main drawback. The EQ is ALWAYS on, which is why I'll never buy one. ;)

5. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    you could get around that with a true bypass box. you would put the hartke in the loop and leave it permanently engaged. switching it on and off would then be done by stomping on the bypass box. loop engaged = hartke engaged, loop off = true bypass of hartke and no effect on sound.

6. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    I really don't see what everyone's beef is about the EQ being on. This is a preamp pedal.... not a distortion box. It's really not that difficult to set the EQ to a transparent level.

Just put the VXL last in your signal chain and use it to control the signal volume going into the amp. It shouldn't be a problem at all unless your volume settings on other pedals are funking it up. If you have a pedal where you want a volume boost when you turn it on just put it ahead of the vxl.

7. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    I got it figured out. I ended up not using any EQ on it (since I am using a Sansamp BDDI already) and putting together some nice tones just using the shape (throaty mids) and tube/blend (extra punch/presence volume boost) knobs on it. Thanks for the feedback.

8. Craggsy

Craggsy

May 24, 2005
    Ive got the VXL and even with the EQ set flat I can notice a difference in tone. But i prefer the sound out of the harkte, so it says on, problem solved! Still though, true bypass wouldn't of been asking too much!