Hartke XL 4x10 cab - what speakers to upgrade from aluminim???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Eedwards7891, Aug 29, 2018.

1. Eedwards7891

Eedwards7891

Dec 11, 2017
    I snagged a Hartke XL 4x10 for free when I bought an SVL 5 Pro.

I now know about aluminum speakers, haha.

I suspect one of the voice coils in one of the speakers is bad . I plan to check impedance of the speakers, and also make sure the dust covers are secure and dont have holes or anything.

Since I got the cab for free, I have been thinking about just upgrading all the speakers. I have never done any kind of upgrades, and this is my first big cab and head .

The cab is rated at 8 ohms , 450 watts total. I plan to use the s v t with this cab eventually. I would like to run it with a g k 1x15.

I play this rig almost exclusively in a doom band (I know I know, lol), and I want to be able to play LOUD before over driving or breaking up.

All in all, what is important in looking for a replacement speaker? Is it even worth it , haha? What ohms per speaker should I look for ? What watts?

Am I even close in terminology, haha?
    Thank you for your help!

Attached Files:

2. Eedwards7891

Eedwards7891

Dec 11, 2017
    *aluminum, lol

3. Eedwards7891

Eedwards7891

Dec 11, 2017
    I appreciate the help , but I am having a hard time deciphering it all, haha

4. It's not worth it. You can buy a working used cab for less than you'll spend on speakers for a cab which will sound like who knows what. Pass.

Eedwards7891 likes this.
  5. ^ What he said.
    The cost of speakers to do what you want (if there is any that will work for that cab) will cost more than a ready to do what you want cab.

Each speaker will be over $100 each, so take that around $500 minimum and here are some Ampeg 8x10's ready to go in that range. Click>https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/?Ntt=ampeg 8x10&Ns=r

Eedwards7891 likes this.
  6. Eedwards7891

Eedwards7891

Dec 11, 2017

Good point! I would DEFINITELY prefer that

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  7. jshinal

jshinal

May 28, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    That's not a bad box, it's plywood and not chip-board construction. It's about 3.8 cubic feet.

If it's ports are tuned lower than 50Hz you could use Eminence Delta 10As in there. But it will seriously fart out if the ports are tuned higher than that. If you can measure the length and diameter of the ports it would be useful info in selecting a replacement speaker set.

...and as I often say, search out used Genz Benz 410s. They kick a lot of ass for not much money. I like the Focus 410, but there are others as good.

Eedwards7891 likes this.
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2022